View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default First G2 Chubby Smoke (Updates Coming)

So after having my G2 Chubby for over a week I'm finally getting around to my first cook. Holidays have kept me busy. Seasoned it last week and I have 2 butts going on today. I'll keep the updates coming as the day continues. Here is what I have so far.

To get an fairly accurate burn rate I measured the charcoal. The tray took 12lbs exactly and I packed it in as much as I could with still leaving room between the tray and heat diverter.

I'm going to start getting my wood in smaller chunks as it is tight between the charcoal and the heat diverter, but I have a lot that is small enough.

This pic actually has the charcoal tray dropped all the way to the bottom so it actually isn't sitting on the rails.

Here is a shot with wood chunks in there to see the clearance. I lit it in the back with 2 weber lighter cubes. Worked well this way the last time I did it when I tested out a party earlier this year.

Injecting the butts. I'm doing these pretty much exactly as I do for competitions with the exception of the temp. Going to run as close to 250 the whole time. The butts are smaller than I wanted at about 8lbs each, but they were the biggest Sams had. Didn't run out to RD this time.

So for a little more info for the initial post......I lit the cubes at 8:45am with both dampers fully open. At 9:25 my maverick alarm beeped at 200 so I could start closing the dampers and closed both to 1/4". By 9:35am it was at 225 and I fully shut the back damper (this is again how I ran the test party). At 9:50am it was at 250 and started to hover right there which is what I want.

More to come.....