Two 6# whole chickens on UDS- Need advice

jrn

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hello. Looking for any advice I can get on smoking two 6#ers on uds. Never cooked whole chickens before.

My uds has two cooking grates. So I've got options there. Will be using minion method with lump. Might add a small hickory chunk or two. Will be using a maverick et-732 set up in the middle of grate.

I've had some issues with over smoking my chicken lately. Might not add any wood at all.

275 is just not working for me. Rubbery skin! Thinking of trying these at 350. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!! Smoking one for my parents, so I don't want to embarrass myself! :)

I would spatchcock and put them on the same rack. 325-350 will work great. Brine them if you have the time.

• Thanks
Reactions: jrn
Split them into halves so they fit on the same rack run the UDS at 325-350. Keep the wood to 1 fist sized chunk.

• Thanks
I agree with spatchcocking. If over smoking you may want to try a milder wood, apple, cherry or just use a very small amount of the hickory you have. You can always add smoke flavor but never take it away.

• Thanks
You can go even higher than 350* if you want. Chicken soaks up smoke quickly so even at a real high temperature you'll still get a nice smoky flavor.

I'd rub with softened butter sprinkle with S&P and let the UDS rip. The butter and high heat will both help to crisp up the skin.

• Thanks
Thanks! How about a diffuser or water pan under the chickens? Just thinking there's gonna be a lot of grease dripping. Worried about flare-ups. :)

A diffuser would work . Chicken will have a lot of drippings that will land on the coals and create creasote on the chicken. Maybe someone else can add to this idea.

• Thanks
I disagree with spatchcocking. I say truss them, that is to say, tie the legs together to close off the body cavity, stuff a lemon or tie the wings to close off the front of the bird.

Run the UDS at 350F to 400F, if you have a diffuser, use it. No need to brine, but, I happen to like to season under the breast skin with a little rub. Roast it hot.

• Thanks
Beer can 'em

100_2994.jpg

100_3000.jpg

Spatch 'em

IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

But you ain't tasted nuthin' like direct drive rotisserie drum chicken!

100_2207.jpg

100_2213.jpg

100_2210.jpg

• Thanks
Well here we go! Decided to spatchcock, then halve them. UDS creeping up to 345 degrees. Gonna try cooking at 350*. Main thing I'm worried about is flare ups. Will put the maverick probe in one of the breasts. So I shouldn't be lifting lid much, if any. That should help. :)

I second the beer can chicken method. I did hard apple cider in mine. 1/3rd hickory to 2/3 apple chips, 3 hour smoke at 235, 20 minutes in the oven at 350 to get crispy skin.

I just found a Weber rotisserie at Value Village for $7. I will definitely have to try that now.

• Thanks
IMO, spatch or halves is the best way unless you have a rotis setup, plus it cooks up quicker. Beercan is just awkward, always dumping chix on their sides and spilling the liquid out of the can etc. And you run in to problems with the birds being too tall to fit the lid on the cooker.

• Thanks
Back