Cooking alone, any tips?

bbqdavarrow

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
First time I will doing a comp by myself, any tips or suggestions would be appreciated!

I compete alone. The biggest thing for me is to keep everything organized. Not only your site, but also you timelines. Once I am done using something I put it back and I don't get things out until I need them. I have a set time when I do all of my meat prep, rubs, injections, etc. and when thing need to go on the smoker. If you have a smart phone, download a kitchen timer app or use multiple alarms on your phone. Try to prep as much as possible at home. I trim all my meat and have all my rubs, injections & sauces done Thursday night.

Don't forget that you put the brisket back into the smoker at 11am because you didn't think it had enough bark and then realize at 1:06 pm it is in the smoker instead of the Cambro.

Not that it happened to me. :icon_blush:

Just sayin'

have a timeline and FOLOW it. And do as much prep work at home as you can.

don't get drunk

Awesomely funny and very wise words at the same time :clap2:.

Having the butt and brisket done and holding a few hours before turn ins makes for less scrambling when turns ins happen and I'm messing with chicken and ribs.

A timeline is crucial. Make a spreadsheet (or in my case a table) of each meat and what needs to be done and at what time from injection to turn-in. I keep the timeline and a summary of the cooking process for each meat in plastic sleeves in a plastic binder near my prep table (plastic protects against my spilling and ruining my notes).

Enlist her or someone else to help make boxes and turn them in. My wife a and daugher have helped me in the past (only two previous comps under my belt). My next comp is in August. Have a buddy joining me to help.

Enlist her or someone else to help make boxes and turn them in. My wife a and daugher have helped me in the past (only two previous comps under my belt). My next comp is in August. Have a buddy joining me to help.

My wife and daughter quit the team last year! and all friends and buddies are busy hmmmm??? So I am looking forward to the new challenge

i see. i should be there too, if you need something holler. but you probably don't want me running your boxes. :p

The key thing is know your cooker. Make a few practice runs at home to see how long you can go without adding fuel to the cooker so you know how long you can sleep. Unless you have a fancy cooker that will go all day on one load of coal. I did some test runs with no meat on the smoker to learn mine. Get a cot or lounge chair to sleep on. If not the ants will love you. I slept on air matress on ground and woke up with 100 ant bites. Good luck and happy smoking!

Here's the keys for me.

1. Write down your times. Read them.
2. Read your times again.
3. Prep as much as possible ahead of time, esp. chicken on Thursday if you can. Have sauces and injections mixed, making sure all sauces / injections are labeled.
4. Organize yourself. Always have things in the same place each time you cook.
5. Read your times.
6. Walk to the turn-in location on Friday and time it there and back. Adjust cooking & prep times as needed, especially if you're used to a box runner.
7. Read your revised times.
8. Look at your setup for preparing turn-in boxes. Where will the meat be? Where is your cutting board? Where are knives / brushes / trash cans / paper towels located? Where is the turn-in box at? Is everything easy at hand or do you typically need to ask someone to hand you something? If so, move it. have it ready at hand
9. Read the revised times
10. Prep and cook
11.Play liars dice with Mo-Kan Meatheads and remind Wayne he's a prick

If you can't get somebody to run boxes for you, tell the organizer you will be cooking solo and ask for a space as close as possible to turn-ins. Most organizers will be happy to work with you - possibly even provide you with a volunteer to run your boxes if they have some extra people available.

Back