View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 06:54 AM   #8
Murray in N.Z.
On the road to being a farker

Y'allknow... I once cashed in my kids inheritance and store bort a bag of mesquite chips.... Ho Hum.... also tried Jack Daniels barrel chips. .. Manuka is kind of dark heavy wood like I think mesquite is based on that 1 bag of chips. Its relative is Kanuka, (even though to the non scientist the only difference is the colour of the flowers) has a more mild taste. To us non intelligent redneck kiwis it all gets called Manuka. I wouldnt worry too much about the strength of the smoke, just leave it in longer for a weak flavoured smoke. Remember the smoke has to get thru the shell.
Yip they is done raw, just sat in a 1/2 shell sized holder coz when you get them they are only black on one end. The black is not just a sooty coating .. its really well stuck in the egg shell.

I reckon that so long as you do em cold there is no wrong way.... dont worry if you do them a bit hot and they cook in the shell ... they will be a new taste sensation.

The only thing wrong is that they make the fridge smell of pure smoke (as opposed to flavourfull rubbed meat smokey smell).. Ok for me but not for S.W.M.B.O.

HMMMM Wonder if I could post some over... probly not.

Regds
Muzza in N.Z.
Murray in N.Z. is offline   Reply With Quote