Finding packer briskests

L

Little Bob's BBQ

Has anybody else found it hard lately to find a 15 - 18 lb. packer brisket? All Sam's club here in Indy have quit selling them, all they have a 3 -5 lb. flats. I told the meat guy ( not a butcher ) back their " that not worth carting home!" he told me packers don't sell. I whent to a local meat market, Wallmart, Kroger all the same.

me too. i have to pre-order them from my local butcher and i am paying at least $4/lb. whole foods the same way. my local sam's club has just had the 5-6lb flats

Restaurant Depot has a store in Indy. They have packers. If you are a KCBS member, have a business of some kind or a tax exempt organization you could get in there. :cool:

Only place I can get them is Wal-mart, "Excel" brand that are not even graded (that I can see on the package)

Walmart and Sam's are hit or miss based on location. My closest Sam's never has packers, only over trimmed flats and the closes Super Wally has small packers. Restaurant Depot is the most consistent for me.

I have a local market that always has CAB packers, if they are out I hit the Restaurant Depot

The only time I have ever seen my Sam's not have packers is usually during the week before big competitions and they got wiped out.

Restaurant Depot is your best bet. There's one in Indianapolis.

2120 Enterprise Park Place
Indianapolis, IN 46218

My Wallyworld has choice grade briskets while my sams only caries select grade briskets. Now I have a Costco card were all they carry is choice or better whole briskets.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

During the summer I went to the Sams in Sioux City and they didnt have any packers. They only had 2 packs of spares and baby backs and a few packages of pork butts. Since I drove an hour and a half I asked to speak to the manager. I got told that Sams probably wasnt going to carry the packers anymore(???). I told him that doesnt make sense because Sams is now one of the big sponsors in competition BBQ. He didnt know anything about it and said on the ribs and butts we have to ask because they are only allowed to put a couple of packs out at a time. Walmart next door had plenty of packers, ribs and butts.

I called another Sams in Council Bluffs,Iowa and they told me that they ALWAYS carry packers and their meat counters are supposed to be full.

So all I can figure is it has got to be the store. But because of that I chose not to renew my membership since the Sioux City store is the closest to me and it takes me an hour and a half to get there and if their meat rules are different it is not worth my time and money.

The only place I've seen them around here is at a local "mom and pop" grocery store called "Rife's". It's known for its meats. But, they usually only have one in the case... I guess there are not that many people looking to purchase a 15 to 20 pound hunk of meat. :shocked:

(It is also the only place around here where I can find bone-in pork butts.)

What is the world comming too? I thought it was just here in Indy, it's getting harder,and harder to find qualty meat to use? I cant hardly find prime anything anymore!
I'll try that Restaurant depot place.
Thanks for the help!

I can't find a brisket around here to save my life. Everyone only sells flats, except for wally world, and even then it's hit or miss if they have them. It's so bad, we went to Myrtle Beach for New years eve, and hit up the Sam's club there. They had 1 Angus Choice Packer that I promptly swiped up. If they had anymore, I would've cleaned 'em out.

What is the world comming too? I thought it was just here in Indy, it's getting harder,and harder to find qualty meat to use? I cant hardly find prime anything anymore!
I'll try that Restaurant depot place.
Thanks for the help!

Unless you are a food business, you will need to bring your KCBS membership card and printout of the RD deal from the KCBS website. That will get you a day pass to RD. Once there, you should have plenty of choices on brisket. I use their Superior Angus briskets. They are graded choice and you can get some fairly large ones if you want. I have an 18 pounder that I am doing tomorrow.

Back