View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #8959
Bubblehead
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coewar View Post
What I have is Stubs lump coals. And I started it the same way I start the KF blue; put some in a chimney, light that and let it stop smoking and flaming, then dump onto unlit coals in the drum. I usually put the flavored wood and meat in the drum right away. Doing that procedure without a doubt creates that nasty smelling smoke.

Bubblehead mentioned to let it burn in the drum for like 15 mins and then it was a clear smoke. I will try it, but I came after 1 hour of my method and still it was nasty smoke. But perhaps Stubs lump coals are not the same as what you are using?

I'm thoroughly confused and can't see how it's possible that there is such variation on people's experience on this.

Are you waiting for the lump coals to be white before cooking?
I usually only load my cookers with Royal Oak Lump (or Best Choice which is the same product packaged for some grocery stores). Like I was saying, I just load it up and stick a torch in the center for a bit (20 seconds-ish) and let it go for a bit, replace the grate and put the lid on. I load the food AFTER the drum is up to temp and the smoke is nice and clean throughout the session.

I hope this makes sense/helps.
Bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote