WSM 18.5 vs UDS

samfsu

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have a wsm and I was wondering how much more food I can do on a uds? I can do 6 racks do bbb using rib racks on my wsm, how much more food can I do with a uds?

Well...the grates aren't the same size so I guess not the equal amount of food.....UDS holds more.
Also depends how many grates you have in the UDS and if you got a Weber lid or a flat lid.

I plan on putting two grates and a weber lid.mjust trying to decide if it is worthwhile to bio
D the uds

The grates in a UDS built from a 55 gallon drum are 22.5" diameter, so each shelf has about 120 sq inches more cooking space than an 18.5" diameter grate. That's significant.

I have a 22.5 WSM and just finished acquiring all of the parts to build my first UDS. I also have 2 extra drums that I picked up in a deal so eventually I'll probably have 3 UDS's. Everything is on hold at the present since I broke my leg at the anckle in 2 places last Saturday. OUCH ! :tsk: I say go for it and build the UDS regardless. You can never have enough grills and/or smokers. :thumb:

Thanks Ron so basically I'll have a 22.5"ER and the 18.5"ER ;)

Yeah- something like that!

100_1716.jpg

The grates in a UDS built from a 55 gallon drum are 22.5" diameter, so each shelf has about 120 sq inches more cooking space than an 18.5" diameter grate. That's significant.

Which is about 50% more cooking space!

Nice thing is you can also lay flat across the grate at least a couple of slabs of spareribs. No rib racks.

You can't get 4 racks of BB's, laying flat, on a 18.5." The 22.5" pit is much larger.

5822278805_02afda97d2_b.jpg

5656795316_2540df4fbb_b.jpg

Damn Phu, that's like those Russian dolls that fit within one another.

Another thing to consider, the UDS are cool and tough looking. The WSM has a sort of sissy boy look.

Back