Chicken Wing FAIL

Youngin'

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I don't know what I did wrong.

I began to marinate the wings on Thursday for a cookout on Saturday. In one bag I used HDD and in other Oakridge gamebird rub. I put a 1/4 cup of EVOO in each bag with a 1/4 of the rub. Right before putting them on the gasser I put some more dust on them.

They cooked with some wood chips @ 200 for about an hour and a half indirect heat. Once I took them off, they all tasted the same. You couldn't taste either rub and all it was was strong smoke taste.

What do you think I did wrong?

Maybe all you could taste was creosote? 200 degrees is a pretty low temp and it probably produced a lot of heavy smoke.

Try cooking the chicken at a higher temp in the 275 to 300 range.

it's been suggested to cook @ 375, since this is the frying temp of oil. Makes for crispier skin.

I think higher temp, shorter cook time. I did mine indirect at 350-375, 20 minutes per side then a quick sear (less than a minute per side) over direct heat. I also let mine sit in the marinade for 3 days which caused the wings to soak up a lot of the rub. You don't have to go that long but I think an overnight marinade would produce much more flavor than just an hour or so. Mine came out perfect!

Another thing I read on the bag is that you should let the rub sit on the meat until it has rehydrated. It should not be dry when you put the chicken on the grill.

Agree - sounds like an ill-burning fire.... did you let the smoke turn thin and blue first?
The skin would need a higher temp, too since you've marinated with EVOO.

Duplicating the low temp in the oven will leave you with less than desirable results with rubbery skin.
Don't ask me how I know this... :shock:

I don't know what I did wrong.

I began to marinate the wings on Thursday for a cookout on Saturday. In one bag I used HDD and in other Oakridge gamebird rub. I put a 1/4 cup of EVOO in each bag with a 1/4 of the rub. Right before putting them on the gasser I put some more dust on them.

They cooked with some wood chips @ 200 for about an hour and a half indirect heat. Once I took them off, they all tasted the same. You couldn't taste either rub and all it was was strong smoke taste.

What do you think I did wrong?

Strong smoke taste from a gasser leads me to believe you might have had too much smoke going on from your wood chips and the cooking temp was too low, IMHO.

If it were me and I was going to use a gasser, I'd probably just grill them indirect first with the burner on the opposite side on high, then I'd flip them over onto the hot side for a quick sear. If done right, they should only take about 40 minutes to an hour to cook, beginning to end.

In the end, it's very hard to say. Maybe a pic will help... these were boneless, skinless chicken breasts marinated in EVOO and Game Bird & Chicken rub for about an hour before putting them on the grill. I can guarantee you could taste the rub on these suckers... :thumb: :becky:

MJT_7532.jpg

I had similar results when using the HDD rub (referring to lack of flavor, not too much smoke), and my wings were cooked to perfection. Perhaps you and I are just immune to the flavors in the rub :wink:

Well, I did HDD wings again yesterday. Probably above 375 for 50 minutes indirect, then less than minute per side over direct heat. Once again, they were stellar. I'm doing some leg quarters basically the same way today. I will let them cook indirect for longer.

Strong smoke taste from a gasser leads me to believe you might have had too much smoke going on from your wood chips and the cooking temp was too low, IMHO.

If it were me and I was going to use a gasser, I'd probably just grill them indirect first with the burner on the opposite side on high, then I'd flip them over onto the hot side for a quick sear. If done right, they should only take about 40 minutes to an hour to cook, beginning to end.

In the end, it's very hard to say. Maybe a pic will help... these were boneless, skinless chicken breasts marinated in EVOO and Game Bird & Chicken rub for about an hour before putting them on the grill. I can guarantee you could taste the rub on these suckers... :thumb: :becky:

Those are a thing of beauty....I know what Im grilling on Sunday.....I will get some of that rub

:clap2:

MJT_7532.jpg

Those are a thing of beauty....I know what Im grilling on Sunday.....I will get some of that rub

:clap2:

Time and temperature are the main issues here. Keep in mind that marinating for more than a few hours is a waist of time. In fact some ingredients in the marinade can change chemically. So, more than a few hours can be counterproductive. All the suggestions here will help with near perfect wings next time. KISS this ain't no science project.

Back