• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

testing the avocado kamado

MKE Meister

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi all...hope I can figure out how to post pics.
1. recently bought an Avocado Kamado from Menards on sale (yes, I'm perfectly aware that this is NOT a BGE, but my mouth can't taste the difference). Trying different cooks to get a feel for it before going low and slow.
2. pizza (forgot to take a shot of my homemade pizza, this one is from Papa Murphy's)
3. bone-in pork chops with foil wrapped potatoes and veggies in the grill pan.
4. Plate of pork, taters, and veggies.
5. My first attempt at spatchcock. Brined the birds for about 12 hours, let them dry overnight, and grilled direct at about 325 for approx. 1.5 hours. Best chicken I've ever done.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• avocado.jpg
    avocado.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 207
  • pizza.jpg
    pizza.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 202
  • action_porkchop.jpg
    action_porkchop.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 202
  • porkchop.jpg
    porkchop.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 200
  • spatchcock_chickens.jpg
    spatchcock_chickens.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 200
That food looks great!

And that smoker looks a whole lot like the Costco Kamado that was discussed a while back.

Dude, that is some beautiful food! You owe no one an explanation about whether or not your grill is an egg or not. It is your kamodo and you fortunately got one. I am envious regardless of brand.

If you don't mind, what was the cost of that one from Menard's vs. BGE? Looks just like the BGE to the untrained eye! Do you have the platesetter indirect thingy or did you have to make something up on your own?

Holy cow, I think your cooker is better than the egg! You spent about 500 to 600 less and got as much or more than the brand name. They are all coming out of China so not much difference there. The only reason I want to go with Primo is because they are American in America and you can do indirect with the coals actually placed to one side not with a plate over the fire. Yeah it works but I like the Primo design a little more.

I will be buying through Directbuy since my BIL has an account and it is decent priced but no where near the deal you hooked up on! Congrats on the deal!

Holy cow, I think your cooker is better than the egg! You spent about 500 to 600 less and got as much or more than the brand name. They are all coming out of China so not much difference there. The only reason I want to go with Primo is because they are American in America and you can do indirect with the coals actually placed to one side not with a plate over the fire. Yeah it works but I like the Primo design a little more.

I will be buying through Directbuy since my BIL has an account and it is decent priced but no where near the deal you hooked up on! Congrats on the deal!

I too am leaning towards the Primo XL, but if I can find a BGE XL at good price I'll take it.

With that said, I'm not sure if you're implying that BGE is made in China, they're not. How can you say it's better than the egg? (No offense OP). You get much more with the egg than the Menards cooker, things that are unseen and of great value, same with Primo.

Great looking grub man. That pizza is on point.

I too am leaning towards the Primo XL, but if I can find a BGE XL at good price I'll take it.

With that said, I'm not sure if you're implying that BGE is made in China, they're not. How can you say it's better than the egg? (No offense OP). You get much more with the egg than the Menards cooker, things that are unseen and of great value, same with Primo.

Great looking grub man. That pizza is on point.

I was definitely wrong about China, the BGE is manufactured in Monterray Mexico. Not the China but not the USA either, closer though. :-D

As far as true comparisons, I do not own one but it looks like you get lots of stuff with that Menard's egg and with the 500+ left over you can buy doubles of all the other stuff you are missing and some charcoal and meat to go along with it.

I am not prejudiced against the BGE but dang a deal is a deal and to me that is a deal!

I was definitely wrong about China, the BGE is manufactured in Monterray Mexico. Not the China but not the USA either, closer though. :-D

As far as true comparisons, I do not own one but it looks like you get lots of stuff with that Menard's egg and with the 500+ left over you can buy doubles of all the other stuff you are missing and some charcoal and meat to go along with it.

I am not prejudiced against the BGE but dang a deal is a deal and to me that is a deal!

I hear you, definitely sounds like a deal. But what happens when a fire box cracks? I've heard it happens often. It'd sure would be great to get it replaced for free. Heck, I'm even hesitant to buy a used bge or primo because of that.

I hear you, definitely sounds like a deal. But what happens when a fire box cracks? I've heard it happens often. It'd sure would be great to get it replaced for free. Heck, I'm even hesitant to buy a used bge or primo because of that.

Because I really don't know, maybe you do. Are the cracks repairable with jb weld or anything like it? Or is it just simply junk when it happens and needs to be replaced?

That food looks awesome! I bet the dead plant and animals don't know what they were cooked on :) Glad you saved some coin for most likely the same results!!

Back