16.5 lbs brisket, on my 55gal. Drum pit, done by 7pm today???

phahn17

Reaction score
Ok guys, I got about a 16.5 lbs brisket I put on the pit at 7 o'clock this morning. I'm cooking at 275 right now and I'm wondering if I could have this done by about 7pm today, I normally cook at 250 for an hour or so per pound, but I kinda dropped the ball and got rushed into this. Let me hear your thoughts and tips to getting it done by 7pm tonight, and still have a decent brisket!!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=30.504317,-96.328780

Does 7pm mean serving time or take it off the pit and let it rest time?

You may be ok at 275, but I would think about bumping the temp up to 300 - maybe 325. You can definitely be ready in time, but you may have to ramp the temps up - cooking hotter is fine for briskets and butts, obviously you gotta watch things so you don't overshoot. Foil can be handy for higher heat cooks. Maybe assess the situation somewhere between noon and 2 and take it from there. Just remember IT of a piece of meat increases faster as the cook progresses.

Keep the cooker closed and good luck!

Meaning off the pit at 7pm, and Ive never tried wrapping for brisket, but I do on all my ribs, but I'm very willing to try it, so explain about when I should wrap please? Thanks bud your a big help!

---
I am here: Google Maps

Id love to help but u don't want my brisket advise! Hehe.

Keep us posted! Interested in how it turns out

I pull and wrap my briskets once they hit 165, then finish out at 190.

I think your 25 degree increase will get you done before seven with at least an hour rest maybe 2 hour rest. If your smoker bounce around at all I would keep it bouncing above 275 not below. I cooked one in your same situation and it was done in 8 hours. It tasted just as good as a longer cook and was just as tender. I won't be getting up so early if it works the same on the next one. Good luck with your cook.

I foil at internal temp of 175 that usually about 6 or 7 hour in. Also I add a cup of strong beef bouillon. Makes a really great dipping juice. When I take the brisket off I am careful not to tear the foil and capture all of the precious juice! making my mouth water!

I don't foil often, but I will definitely do it if I need something to cook quicker or if the bark is looking too barky.

Also remember this - the first part of the cook, the meat temp rises much more slowly than the last part of the cook.

For off the pit at 7 - I'm thinking (okay, guessing!) stay where you're at temp-wise and adjust if necessary later in the day. You can wrap it real good with foil and then a blanket or towels and let it rest in a cooler (you can preheat with hot water) if it gets done too early.

Thanks for the great info guys, keep it coming!! Right now I got the temperature at the grate keeping right around 300, but it's bouncing up and down, not getting below 275 though, I have a feeling I'm going to keep shoveling coals all day today!! I got the coal door at the bottom open hoping to get a little draft inside to keep the temps up. I am defiantly going to try the wrap today, never done it before, but I'm always open to new ideas!
I'll post pictures every few hours and keep everyone posted!!
Thank you and keep the tips and tricks coming!! I love the input!!

---
I am here: Google Maps

I have gotten them done in 9 hrs cooking at 275 and wrapped at 6hrs and also use beef buillion 4 cubes to 3 cups of water.. 1 cup per hr the last 3 hrs....

I'm the paranoid sort :-D so I would try to run at 300. You can always hold it in a cooler insulated with towels if it's done early.

As far as foiling, since you're cooking hotter, watch the bark color. When it gets to the color that you like, that's the time to foil. That way the higher temp doesn't burn the bark.

I just did a my first 16.5 LBS, put it on at 6:00am @250, then foiled at around 2pm with a cup of beef broth temp was about 160-165. I was able to get it off at 4 or so and then separated point and made burnt ends which took 3 hours, while the flat was wrapped in cooler. Ate at 7:30 food came out great.

I'm trying to keep the grate right at 300, and having hell doing it, keeps dropping down to 275..... I even got the coal door open to get a little air in there.... Cant tell if that helping or hurting me though.....Hopefully I can get this done by 7

I'm trying to keep the grate right at 300, and having hell doing it, keeps dropping down to 275..... I even got the coal door open to get a little air in there.... Cant tell if that helping or hurting me though.....Hopefully I can get this done by 7

On my cooker, opening the coal door cools the fire down a little. I only leave it open when adding a split or if the temp is getting too high.

I wouldn't sweat bouncing between 275-300 too much, but then again, I've been described as someone who'll call from the hospital or jail and say "everything's fine - there's nothing to worry about".

You have plenty of time - you can and will get done on time if you stay on top of the situation.

Hmm alright I kinda figured get a little air in there and it would keep the splits and coals burning a little hotter....... I'll be sitting next too the pit all day so I can watch it.... Let's just hope I don't drink too much beer before it's done....it's my 21st birthday and I'm the one that's up early doing the cooking for the party tonight..... Ha I just dont trust anyone else to BBQ and it be edible.... Haha

What are you cooking on?

***on edit***

never mind, says drum pit in the title :doh:

if you don't have intake vents, then yes you should have that door open a little - air does need to get in there.

One of the cheap 55gallon drums you can buy at academy or HEB. I sold my old pit that I built, and am in the process of building my new trailered pit, so I'm stuck cooking on this thing....

Back