Fat side down...why?

CUTigerQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
On a butt, why do we put it in fat side down? Ive always done this because it is what you guys told me to do, but I never questioned why. So, WHY?:-D

I do it in the UDS to help shield it a little from the direct heat. I don't know if it makes a difference but it makes me feel better!

Heard two different schools of thought.

Fat side up to "self baste" by gravity... dripping melted fat over the meat.

and

Fat side down... being a heat barrier... allowing all the remaining sides to develop bark.

One thing I noticed... fat side down leaves a bigger mess.

IDK!! I always do them fat side up! Crap! I've been doing it wrong all these years!!:p
Just kidding! To me, it doesn't matter...

Fat cap down, if you put the cap up the melting fat will just run down the sides...down gives you a heat shield especially if using a UDS.

I put fat side down because I get a great bark on top while using the fat cap as a shield from the heat.

The fat is a sacrificial shield from the heat and a lot of the fat is just going to cook away anyway. The meat side is where we want to protect and try to get that nice bark.

I have heard it argued that if you cook it fat side up, the fat will baste the meat and keep it moist. This sounds good but all the fat really does is run down the side and into the fire or water pan.

Fat side down to protect and flip after bark sets or not, your choice.

Fat side down really only relates to a direct heat smoker, ala. BGE, UDS, etc. If
using an indirect heat source it really doesn't matter, and generally I go fat side up
because it's easier to clean up and because it might just end up a tad more moist...

I've always done fat side down for the heat barrier but also my own personal theory be it right or wrong is the fat dripping down the side could "wash" some of your rub off. Whether that's true or not I dunno. Like everything in BBQ there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Fat side down on everything for me. It becomes my "skid plate" so I don't have to worry about jacking up the "pretty side" as I move meat around the pit. I also agree that it does help somewhat as a thermal barrier as well.

Mike

I was taught fat side up, but I started getting better results when I did fat side down, whether I'm cooking them in the Backwoods or Ole Hickory. Just seemed to have a better bark, and in comps, I went from the middle of the pack to consistently being in the top 5.

I go fat side up in my WSM but may try the fat side down in my UDS, I really want to put a diffuser in my UDS though.

What fat?? I trim all my fat off because I love the bark and bark wont form on fat, IMO fat cap on top will just run off and not penetrate the meat anyway. I use water in my pan (WSM) so the bottom is protected from direct heat anyway.

Last edited:
As Myron Mixon says, Rub does not stick to fat. You will always get a better bark if you put the fat side down...imho!

Back