Turkey Spatchcocking 101 w/PRON

SmokinOkie

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So, lots of questions and as I was updating my Turkey 101 for my class this year (last week at the local Vo-Tech), I did one and Spatchcocked it.

Thought pictures would help others understand what it is more clearly.

Are there lots of options. Sure, this is how I do mine.

The whole idea of spatchcocking is to open the whole bird up, lay it flat and cook it flat. You can use this for Chicken as well.

Those that love to Spatchcock say that it cooks faster and the whole bird comes out even.

When I'm doing just turkey, I'll do this sometimes as an option. You really need enough space in your smoker to do this, but I LOVE the parting out of the meat, just makes trimming later that much quicker/easier.

I like this for the flexibility it gives me, that if the white/dark get done at different times, you can take them off when done.

Start with a whole turkey:
SC1.jpg

To Spatchcock you need to remove the spine.
This photo shows the area I'll cut out. I use a share knife and some kitchen shears.

SC2.jpg

This photos shows the spine removed (and that's it at the bottom of the photo.

SC3.jpg

OPTION
I like to remove the keel bone. That's the white shape above the spine after I've removed it. You can see where it was removed in the middle of the turkey, where you see the meat. I like to to this for easier trimming later and it lays flatter. NOTE: it is rather difficult to remove. You have to cut carefully and not ruin the breast meat.

SC4.jpg

Here's a view with the bird turned over.

You can cook it just like this OR see the photo after this one
SC5.jpg

OPTION
Part out the bird. I cut the dark quarters off (thigh/leg) IMPORTANT. Be very away of the skin and where you cut it. You want to leave as much as skin as you can for the breast meat (which I didn't do this time to show you what happens if you cut it close. Just keep this in mind when you trim out the dark pieces.

SC6.jpg

Loaded in the smoker. I try to off set them so the bird above doesn't drip on the ones below.

SC7.jpg

Completed

SC8.jpg

Last edited:
Great tutorial! Fine looking finished product too:thumb: Thanks for sharing that.

Ohhh ya... Nice tutorial... I can't wait to get them birds on the Q. @ $.49/lb. I've acquired a few in the freezer... Cheers!!!

Very Nice!! I just love this time of year! Turkey is one of our favorites and you can load up this time of the year with the prices and deals you can find!!

Options:

1) Put a pan under the bird to catch the drippings to aid in making gravy. It will usually be necessary to put some fluid in the pan (water, broth, white wine) at the start to keep the first drippings from burning.

2) Using the giblets for gravy? When boiling the giblets, cut that backbone up into 2 or 3 pieces and throw that in too.

3) Some folks coat the skin with oil or butter. They say it helps crisp up the skin.

4) You forgot to mention to add seasoning to the skin. It looks like you used some type of rub, but forgot to mention that (or considered it obvious maybe).

Don

I spatchcocked a turkey the other day... Knowing that my kitchen shears likely wouldn't cut the ribs, I went to Menards and bought some dandy pruning shears. It was a nice gift to myself. Worked perfectly! They are now a standard kitchen utensil!

I hadn't thought of removing the keel - thx 4 bring this up. Next time I will.

Glad it helps, you know how Photos do that.

If any of you guys try this and have photos, just post them in the thread. It's not really that hard if you're comfortable with a knife.

Grill Sergeant, great point. I have bad arthritis and kitchen shears don't always work, I too have a pair of stainless pruning shears when I need "leverage".

Russ

what temp and for how long (per pound)?

I'm thinking of doing this this weekend. I have to smoke 4 turkeys. I have four trays in my smoker but not much hight between trays. Figure this would be the way to do it.

what temp and for how long (per pound)?

I'm thinking of doing this this weekend. I have to smoke 4 turkeys. I have four trays in my smoker but not much hight between trays. Figure this would be the way to do it.

I've actually created a Turkey 101 (which I've had over 10 years).

I updated it for 2010 for the Turkey 101 class I gave at the Vo-Tech last week.

Look this over. I'm not a xx min for xx time kinda guy; I recommend a good thermometer and a finishing temp of 165.

Turkey 101 PDF

Russ

How bid of a bird do you think you could do spatchcocked? Thinking of doing a 20+lber.

That one was a 18 lb'er. I'm going to do a 20 or so for Thanksgiving. One of the limiting things people have about large birds the "normal" way is the temperature issues etc.

I think this will work great on a larger bird, who do you guys think?

I want to have more breast meat. I used to really love dark meat, but more and more with the brining flavor I just don't eat it.

I also think separating the parts or spatchcoking (either one) helps a bigger bird. That larger breast you certainly don't want to overcook.

Another benefit I like is the ability to season and get lots of skin looking great.

Russ

No, that's been the "traditional" answer for years in the cooking world and the bbq forums. can't really trace it to fact, but a lot of people quote not to do bird too big in a smoke.

The main reason being a whole bird (not spatchcoked) cooked love enough will stay in the danger zone too long.

IF (and this is the point to know) you know you're bird won't be below 140 internal for more than 4 hours on the cooker, then you could do a larger bird.

Secondly, I think on large birds getting the white and dark done at the same time becomes more problematic.

Does it matter? Honestly, if you cook it in the 300+ range you'll not have a problem. I also think that as most of us like to finish at a higher temp for crispy skin, what little varmits will survive that.

If you're a true Food Safety Expert, use your own advice, these are just my 3 cents worth of opinion.

Me, I'm going to Spatchcock my large bird so the meat gets done more evenly.

Back