rest it newbies

blues_n_cues

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
i learned this long ago w/out knowing why long before i got here but..
any meat you cook. when it's done rest it & or stand @ least 20 mins before slicing. it relaxes the meat,redistributes the juices,& makes a tender cut firm up & not fall apart.

golden rule- wrap & rest in foil for 30-1 hour. let stand 20. turkey or large brisket- let stand 45ish open air after the wrap/rest & carve w/ a serrated knife.
save the au jus for au jus or add to (cold)corn starch water mix for gravy.

there ya go...:-D

can this get to be a sticky??

I agree, the larger the cut, the longer the rest. Even non-BBQ meat should be rested before cutting or serving.

I agree, the larger the cut, the longer the rest. Even non-BBQ meat should be rested before cutting or serving.
i taught my mother(an alaskan sourdough-thats a native) & my dad's south texas german this....
even a braised pork or pot roast- let it rest covered for 45- it'll be juicy again:shock:

I've tried till I'm blue in the face to get the kids to "rest" their hamburgers and hot dogs. They just will not listen!

What do you guys do regarding resting when it comes to rare and medium rare grilled meats. How do you ensure you will hit target temp after you take it off the grill?

I love grilled pork loins at 140-45 (i know some think thats dangerous) but the only way I seem to be able to get consistant results is to slice it right before or when it hits target temp. Obviously the bigger the piece of meat the more thermal mass and it just keeps on cooking once its off the grill.

My experiance resting things like pork butts and well done meat has been right on with what you are saying.

Id love to hear your thoughts.

What about boiled ribs?:shock:
Knew this about roasts,steaks and such(think the first Good Eats show was about resting a steak), but surprised about braised meats. Thanks for sharing.

Paul

Does this hold true for fatties also? What about rib trimmings?:biggrin:

Resting meat was the single most important thing that I learned here, even my mother who is a GREAT cook didn't know about that.

The second most important thing I learned since I came here was the importance of kosher salt. Amazing flavor it gives.

Who is gonna tell their woman their meat needs to rest??

Back