Pigs Ears

BBQ Grail

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Anyone ever smoked or grilled pigs ears? Or cooked them any other way?

They have both the dried and smoked ears at all the cowboy K-Mart stores, they are sold as dog chews. :mrgreen:

I do smoke trotters and jowl for the wife of one of my buddies.... and he brought me several packs of these. So I suppose you could go this route.

DSC08276b.jpg

I've given way too many to my dogs to ever consider eating. That commercial smoke brine sucks to me, not them. Not enough meat, other than fried, and then I'd rather eat piggy pops with some Tiger sauce. Steve.

not grilled but you can boil them and make Aspic.

Remove the ears, strain the liquid and put whatever you want in it...

411px-Aspic-with-eggs.jpg

from Wikipedia:

Worldwide variants and terminology

In Poland (known as "galareta"), in Lithuania (known as "šaltiena"), in Belarus (known as "kvashanina"), in Ukraine (known as "studinets"), Latvia (known as "galerts" or "aukstā gaļa", in Russia (known as "kholodets" or "studen"), in Serbia (known as "pihtije"), in Croatia (known as "hladetina"), in Macedonia (known as "pivtija" or "pača"), in Hungary (known as "kocsonya") in Romania (known as "piftie" or "rǎcituri") in Sweden (known as "aladåb") and in Finland (known as "aladobi") aspic often takes the form of pork jelly, and it is popular around the Christmas and Easter Holidays. In Asia, among the Newars of Kathmandu Valley, Nepal, buffalo meat jelly is a major component of the winter festivity gourmet. It is eaten in combination with fish aspic, which is made from dried fish and buffalo meat stock, soured, and contains a heavy mix of spices and condiments.
File:Aspic-with-eggs.jpg

not grilled but you can boil them and make Aspic.

Remove the ears, strain the liquid and put whatever you want in it...

411px-Aspic-with-eggs.jpg

from Wikipedia:

Worldwide variants and terminology

In Poland (known as "galareta"), in Lithuania (known as "šaltiena"), in Belarus (known as "kvashanina"), in Ukraine (known as "studinets"), Latvia (known as "galerts" or "aukstā gaļa", in Russia (known as "kholodets" or "studen"), in Serbia (known as "pihtije"), in Croatia (known as "hladetina"), in Macedonia (known as "pivtija" or "pača"), in Hungary (known as "kocsonya") in Romania (known as "piftie" or "rǎcituri") in Sweden (known as "aladåb") and in Finland (known as "aladobi") aspic often takes the form of pork jelly, and it is popular around the Christmas and Easter Holidays. In Asia, among the Newars of Kathmandu Valley, Nepal, buffalo meat jelly is a major component of the winter festivity gourmet. It is eaten in combination with fish aspic, which is made from dried fish and buffalo meat stock, soured, and contains a heavy mix of spices and condiments.
File:Aspic-with-eggs.jpg

I know not to judge a book by its cover...but, wtf man, LOL. Yeah, couldn't eat something that looked like that, to each his own.

Offal! It's what's for dinner!:-D
There are recipes for ears, like (not kidding) Twice-cooked pig ear salad, Grilled glazed ears, or cold pigs ear salad, to name a few. These are from a book called Odd Bits, by Jennifer McLagan. The glazed ear recipe is actually quite good!

Last edited:
I saw them on Diners, Drive ins and Dives last week. They did them in a crock pot with some veggies and seasoning and made a sandwich out of it. Didn't look to appetizing to me...

I saw them on Diners, Drive ins and Dives last week. They did them in a crock pot with some veggies and seasoning and made a sandwich out of it. Didn't look to appetizing to me...

I thought Guy was going to lose it

Dat'L Grill;2109417 I thought Guy was going to lose it[/QUOTE said:
And momma in the kitchen was not taking no for an answer. One of the more entertaining moments I've seen on that show.

Back