• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

ABT's - What say yee Brethren? How do you make the lowly picante carrying jalapeño pepper sing?

ABT Prep Preferences - you may select more than one choice

• Give me the Whole Pepper - Less the top and seeds

Votes: 31 41.9%
  • Boat Style - Row Boat Mod - Lose the stem and seeds

Votes: 45 60.8%
  • Hold the Cheese - Cheese is just so Cheesy Mod

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Hold the Bacon - Alternate Blanket Mod

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hold the Pepper - ABT Fraud Mod

• Whats an ABT - Still Looking for Wood Mod

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hook_Line_and_Sinker

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Green, Red, Yellow, or Orange are but a few choices you have to make ABT's from.

Truly a fruit from a different vine, the plants of the genus Capsicum make for some good snacking. yes they are a fruit!

With names like:
Pepperoncini, bell peppers, chili peppers, bell chillies, sweet peppers , hot peppers , cayenne pepper, habanero chili, Thai peppers, piri piri 'African Devil' peppers scotch bonnet, piquin, pimiento, sarono, Anaheim peppers banana peppers and many more.
Which have you used to make ABT's and how was it ?

What style of prep do you prefer and why ?

Have you used a wrap besides bacon?

Give us your twist on a not so common favorite treat around here

I add one drop of Satan's Blood to a few for a friendly surprise when I take a batch of them over to the pub.

2ykgha8.jpg

iqkkk9.jpg

:twisted:

i've used red, yellow, and orange sweet peppers from sam's and stuffed them with chicken & lamb and they were pretty dang good! always and forever bacon though. sometimes i put some minced shallot or garlic in the creamed cheese filling and some rub in the cheese also.

sweetbuffaloturds-028.jpg

sweetbuffaloturds-030.jpg

I don't use a full drop, just dip a toothpick in once and drag it over about ten of them so it only add a little sting. Most guys that claim to like curry in the style of a Vindaloo can take it.

feibts.jpg

I typically use the cream cheese, lil' smoky mod, but have also used chicken, pulled pork, and brisket.
I always use bacon, but ony 1/2 piece per pepper.
I never thought to add a hot sauce like the good Doctor does.:mad:
Maybe next time...:mrgreen:

I have used all kinds of things in the cream cheese and several kinds of peppers. My favorite is still plain cream cheese, jap with top cut off, seeded, a whole strip of thin sliced bacon and a light dusting of Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom for just a tad more heat!!! Then smoked for close to three hours so the bacon is dark and a little crispy.

I never thought to add a hot sauce like the good Doctor does.:mad:
Maybe next time...:mrgreen:
You should try it with the same bottle you sent me it gives a real nice kick.:-D

I would stay away from this little bugger though...
aku8mv.jpg

I use about two drops in a pot of chili. I wouldn't go any more than that though simply because I love heat but I enjoy the taste of food beter.

If I can get Ancho's thats just the kick the Doctor ordered!

I'm the "boat" kind of ABT'r. I get kinda methodical about them, I'll slice them so the stem is still intact and the boat is deep for filling and use the other slice as a lid, paste both so it holds together. Have a small bamboo spreader for the cream cheese and a melon baller for seeding. Slice, seed, fill, then bacon wrap.

My favorite has turned out to be whole, minus the seeds and tops and then stuffed with pimento cheese seasoned with dill weed. Wrapped in bacon of course.

At the pool hall we usually do jalapeno halves with cream cheese and little smokies wrapped in thin bacon. Sometimes there will be a sliver of habanero added to a few for people who like 'em hotter.

At home I have made some like above but used andouille sausage instead of smokies or left over pulled pork turns out good.

Boat method for me.
Half the jap, remove all trace of vein and seeds. Soak for 24 hours in Sprite (family enjoyment mod) to remove most of the heat. This cream cheese and a little smoky middle....

I fry up a pound of pork sausage and mix with a package of cream cheese stuff it on a 1/2 pepper and wrap with partially cooked bacon. Did 140 yesterday and none to be found anywhere.

A new option needs to be added for those of us that go both ways:eek:: whole minus stem & seeds AND boat style loaded with the works and always in bacon!!! Fat Little Piggy Mod.:cool:

I made my first batch this weekend. I boated the regular jalapenos and removed all the seeds and veins with a teaspoon. The filling was cream cheese, 4 cheese mexican blend, some lump crabmeat, garlic salt, and pepper. Wrapped each in full piece of bacon and skewered them up. I snacked on a couple of them early in the cooking process when the bacon was "done", but not crisp. The peppers still had a crunch to them and those suckers packed a punch. I did notice that the heat level was quite a bit lower after a few more hours on the smoker and the bacon was crisp with the pepper soft. They were perfect. I bet I ate a dozen of them and wished I had made more. They will be a staple at all parties in the future.

Boat style jalapenos stuffed with just about anything. My favorite is sausage, cream cheese and 4 cheese Mexican cheese mixed with some rub.

What I don't like about boat style is that in my experience, the cheese tends to run out as it melts when things are cookin'. I want to eat that cheese, so I go with whole and try to get them upright if I can. (Still waiting to buy that jalapeno grill mod)

Back