What do you place your meat in for brining?

Plaid Palace

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
This isn't a topic about how to brine, or what brine to use but a topic of what do you put your meat in when you brine? And what not to place your meat in when you brine?

Before I used an aluminum bucket that would be use to hold champagne or beer on ice. Would this be ok to us for future brines?

I wouldn't use aluminium. For me stainless steel or appropriate plastic is better. You could place a big plastic bag in your aluminium bucket.
John

I wouldn't use aluminium. For me stainless steel or appropriate plastic is better. You could place a big plastic bag in your aluminium bucket.
John

thought someone might say this. what about placing it in a garbage bag into the aluminum bucket?

BTW, the bucket doesn't say it is aluminum I am just assuming since it was 10 bucks at Target.

I have always heard to not use metal containers and I have just gone with that. I can't argue for or against it. I just trusted those that were saying it. Personally, If I am doing a big batch, I have a large 4 gallon plastic container with a lid I picked up from Restaurant Depot. I have also seen suitable things at Sam's. Some people will just use coolers that have been well cleaned and bleached. I have also seen people use smaller things like bus tubs or just large leftover storage containers.

I use a standard 5-gallon bucket. Or a small igloo cooler. Seems that a plastic bag inside of the bucket you currently use would work just fine.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

My cooks are mostly small enough that I just use zip lock bags, for the bigger stuff such as whole chickens I use a small ice chest(plastic).

I use my Igloo cooler, washed well before and after. I add the meat, pour in brine and fill with ice. Still plent of ice 24 hours later.

When doing turkeys I use a 5 gallon bucket...put in my brine...bag of ice and the turkeys...in November it can properly sit overnight here in KY without any issue...

BTW: make sure you use food grade type containers/bags...a trash bag is not food grade most likely...

I use a ZIP bag for small stuff like chicken if I have allot or something big it's the Igloo cooler. If you have a spare fridge with room a Homer bucket is a good choice.

Anything the meat will fit in.... Eventually i want to get various sizes of cambro food storage containers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^Cambro FTW.. I have a 2 gallon one. If I need to, I bust out food grade buckets from the homebrew collection..

Rubbermaid plastic bins.

Don't use aluminum at all. I just stay away from metals on a whole. I have no trust in plastic bags either. If your meat has an exposed bone, it's bound to puncture it. I also find with that so much liquid in the bags even the toughest zip locks leak at the seams after a bit of handling and what not.

Cheers

I have white plastic 2 and 3 gallon buckets I got from the bakery and deli departments of the market. Things like frosting and potato salad come in them and they give you the lids too. I also have a stainless steel room service champagne bucket with a bail... I believe it's a Holiday Inn brand :mrgreen:, but I bought it at a garage sale.

If you want a metal bucket for their heat transfer properties, it's easy to tell if something is aluminum, so don't buy that. Coated steel will work, but stainless is better. Take a refrigerator magnet to the store with you as stainless is non-magnetic. If you have a farm store, try them... a lot of milk buckets and feed buckets are stainless.

I did see an ad in last months Bullsheet for this brining bucket. I like the locking insert which keeps your things submerged. It comes with a lid too. Very clever design.

I will also use a 12qt or 8qt stainless stock pot.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

For big birds or batches I use a five gallon plastic pail lined with the turkey size Reynolds oven bag. I know the bag is food safe and they seem to be pretty tough. The turkey size is a perfect fit for a five gallon pail.

Four eight pound chickens and two gallons of brine are pretty close to five gallons.

photo%2520%25283%2529-PP.jpg

I dont do a lot of brining...but when I do I use 2.5 gallon ziplock bags. They are big enough for a full size turkey
at least the size I get...I never have seen anything over 20 pounds

Back