• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Can I get some help with some sausage

AJP

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I really want to make my own sausage. I have a meat grinder and a sausage stuffer but have never used them. I am looking for some good recipes that I can smoke on my smoker but also would like to start easy. Any help would be awesome.

I'm with ya on wanting to learn to make sausage... I suggest going to YouTube and searching for 'make your own sausage' or 'home made sausage' and you fill find a lot of good videos on the process and ingredients. I just bought a meat grinder today and sausage is one of the main reasons I wanted one...

I suggest to start simple. check out some how to videos to get an idea of how to run the stuffer and I would recommend buying premixed seasonings, like from Bass Pro, Cabela's, or LEM. I use LEM, you can order direct from their website or pick there stuff up at Bass Pro. The reason I recommend premixed seasonings, is that they usually taste great with very little hassel. I have tried several recipes and they hardly ever turn out with enough flavor without a lot of trial and error. I don't have the patientce for that, especially when great mixes are already avaliable. That's just my opinion, I'm sure others will chime in.

Oh yeah, the mixes I suggested are marketed for wild game, but they work just fine with store bought meat also!!

I just started making my own sausage. I did a hot Italian recipe that I found somewhere on the internet and its the best thing I've ever eaten. The basic recipe is here:

Ingredients:
5 lbs pork shoulder
natural hog casings
2 T whole fennel seeds
1 T salt
1 T ground black pepper
1 T garlic powder
4 T red pepper flakes
1 cup ice water give or take 1/4 cup

I just used my kitchenaid mixer grinder and stuffer attachment. I documented my sausage making party here.

In fact, I'm ready to make some more sausage - I just ran out!

I don't know if you'd smoke this sausage; I'm stilling looking into that. I saw on Diners Drive Ins and Dives last night a lady that smoked sausage and I was salivating, so that's next on the sausage agenda.

Good luck!

Yeah not ready to spend on a book right now. I am hoping to try a few sausages first and see if I am any good at it.

The LEM stuff looks like it is simple and easy.

Now where is everyone getting hog casings?

I get these.

It's an assortment of odds and ends of casings and are totally fine for home use. You can also go to your butcher and see if they'll sell you some. Around here, none of the chain grocery stores sell them, so you may need to check out a real butcher shop.

Glad you like the hot sauce. It was winter, I don't have much free time in the winter for smoking, now that it is warming up and summer time I have much more time.

Back