Its the cook, not the charcoal!

I will agree that it is the cook and not the charcoal.

My friend brought over some match light to my house. I looked at him and told him to get rid of it. Well needless to say after drinking all night long he left it at my house.

I'm not one to throw something away, so I decided to use it to cook up some burgers and hot dogs. I just made sure that I didn't add anything to my kettle until the chemicals had burned off completely. The burgers and dogs turned out great. The coals though didn't have much life after allowing the chemicals to burn off. Maybe 1-1.5hrs tops.

Cooks need to learn how to overcome problems that might occur in their cooks. Knowing work arounds will help save you trips to the store as well as save meals that aren't going perfectly. I like to think of myself as a McGuyver cook. I look what I have in my pantry/fridge/freezer and then make a meal with what I have. Very few of my meals are completely planned out before I go to the store.

I have a confession: when I was starting with my $30 Walmart grill (that lasted a surprisingly long time) I always used match light. This is the same experience I had. By the time they had burned to the point that I was comfortable cooking with them there was very little time to actually cook.

Also, kudos for the Macgyver reference!

:doh: It seems like this thread is having the opposite effect. My premise is that it has been demonstrated that a good cook can get good results with kbb. My humble opinion is that blaming the charcoal for bad results is like blaming the type of cooker. It is the cook, not the charcoal. The type of charcoal is probably one of those last 5% things.

I can accept all the personal preferences for using lump. Ash, heat, belief of taste are all good, acceptable reasons to use lump. You like lump, I got no issues with you. I use both myself.

But, those that blame a drum or such not working correctly on not using lump, well, I think you got a few screws loose.

Where are all those kbb defenders we normally see pop-up?

Since I just bought 510 pounds of it, I must be happy with it -- or nuts. :loco:

I only smell bad smells when my KBB is lighting up. Once it is up to temperature and burning efficiently, the smoke smells fine. The KBB is only providing the heat for my cooks. The wood chunks provide the smoke flavors.

If my friends are too busy shoving que into their pie-holes to talk to each other, I figure the charcoal didn't mess anything up.

I do use lump for some of my grilling. It is especially good for steaks. But, like my cookers and tools, it is just a means to an end. If I use KBB ten times with good results, and the eleventh time, the food tastes bad, how can I blame the KBB? Same goes for any fuel.

If I fark up a cook, it's my fault.

Well, sometimes it actually is the beer's fault, which I still say is more important than the charcoal -- in the right quantities. :becky:

CD

Since we're discussing charcoal I thought I'd share my experiences with Kroger Brand Lump- Used several bags now and it's very good stuff, size and wood quality is good, burns great and reasonably priced.

Just thought I'd share cuz if you shop for your meat there you don't have to make a separate trip to get coal.

I agree. That's what I use when I cook with lump. I don't like it enough for bold type, but I find it to be a good as any other lump I have tried. And, the price is certainly right.

My understanding is that Royal Oak makes Kroger brand charcoals.

CD

wsm has a water bowl which will catch the fat, which means no fat dripping on coals. i think we are onto something here. fat drippings and kbb dont mix.

I don't like burning fat smoke no mater what my fuel is, when cooking for a long time. That's why I use water in my WSM water bowl. The fat drops into water, not onto a scorching hot surface.

CD

Back