Thermapen Alternative for $13

That CDN got decent reviews from Americas Test Kitchen as a thermapen alternative too. I have a CDN with a wired probe that I got from amazon. Never had a problem with it in the 6mo. i,ve owned it. Would try it for 13 bucks. I don't think you can calibrate it, but for 13.....

It has a calibration button on it. I ordered one just to try it out. Like you said, for 13 bux I have not a lot to lose.

Good to know about the calibration. Let us know what your thoughts are on it after you get it.

I have several of the CDN thermometers. Real fast. Real easy. And at a GREAT price.

I've been using that CDN thermo for the last couple + years. I think it needs a new battery after 2 years of use because it's now taking a bit longer to reach and settle at final temp. Very nice thermo for the price.

Mine will be here Tuesday. I could never let myself spend the money for the Thermapen because I simply could not find a use for it that would warrant that expense. I have only been into this low and slow BBQ hobby for several months now and I just can't see a use for instant (or really quick) temp reads. Accuracy is more of a concern for me that speed on temps, especially with the homebrewing hobby. A couple degrees of inaccuracy in homebrewing changes things significantly.

Well it like this , i have been know to leave them in the smoker and a 100 buck thermo will melt the same as a 13 buck one

I use a small thermometer made by Cooper. I got it at an AC supply house. It has the thin tip like a thermapen, and levels out about as quick as the one in the video. Less than $20 if I remember.

I have had that smae cdn for a couple years now. First one stopped working so I sent it back to them and within a couple weeks had a brand new one. I even left this last one out in the rain a couple weeks ago and it still works fine. It might not be as quick as a thermapen but it is still pretty good.

Ohhh please tell us how that works:clap2: I've been looking for a new thermo and that's an incredible price!

I got mine in the mail this morning. I tested it and it's not as fast as the one in the video. It takes 8-10 seconds to come from room temp to boiling water temp. For $13 I'm pretty happy with that. Its a lot faster than my other hand-held digital thermometer.

My Thermapen is slow when trying to read low temps, like at 0F or so. Is this normal?

I got one of these:

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-685610/Sur-La-Table-Instant-Read-Flip-Thermometers

Seems to work about as fast as the one in the video. Works great. Even if a thermopen is a few seconds faster, for a backyard cook like me, it really doesn't make a difference.

Here's a tip: Before checking the temp, I place the probe on the exhaust vent of my BGE until the temp is close to what I want to measure, then open up the BGE and stick it in the meat. This makes the reading even faster, as the thermometer temp is close to the final temp.

For example, I'm cooking steaks, and want a final temp of 125. When I turn on the thermometer, ambient is about 70. I place it on the vent until temp on thermometer reads 100-110ish, then open up the BGE, and stick it in the steak. Since the thermometer is already close to the temp, it is very fast to actually read the meat temp.

I got mine in the mail this morning. I tested it and it's not as fast as the one in the video. It takes 8-10 seconds to come from room temp to boiling water temp. For $13 I'm pretty happy with that. Its a lot faster than my other hand-held digital thermometer.

Actually, if you look at the video, it seems to take about 8 seconds for the temp to get from ambient to 212.

Back