Does the amount of blood on the meat or in the package...

dapittboss

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
an indicator of the quality? I notice the amount of blood/liquid in the styrofoam tray varies quite a bit sometimes and I was wondering if more was worse than less or if it really matters at all. I picked up 5 racks of beef ribs to cook today when I get off work and two of them seem to have a lot more red liquid than the rest. I got them at a grocery store (Albertson's) they're not in cryo's. Does this stuff come out of the meat after they pack it? Thanks guys!

Not to say this is happened in your case, but it is to be considered..

Alot of blood inthe crovac or packaging can be indicative of freezing and thawing.. Freezing the meat damages the cells, when the meat thaws out, alot of the blood/juices are released from the cells and pools in the packaging... if its done to much, the meat will be dry, no matter what.

There can be other reasons for alot of blood, but this is one of them.

What about amniotic fluid, Phil? Your born-in-the-cryocav meat might have traces in it... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I'm not certain of all the aspects when I see this. But as a general rule with ANY food, If it doesn't look good or right don't buy it.

With beef, keep in mind that the blood is a lot more vivid in appearance than is pork or chicken. Some of what you're experiencing may be just brighter blood, not necessarily more of it than you usually get with pork ribs.

If using a sharp knife, make sure it is not YOUR blood.

Back