Smokers with a warming/rib box question.

DeepElemCue

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
What exactly are they used for? Can you smoke food in these boxes or are they just used for hot holding food? I am doing some preliminary research before I take the plunge.

I'm saving for a Lang smoker and I have read mixed reviews on the deluxe warmer for it. Some say it does not get hot or smoky enough, and others say it gets too hot. I'd love some bonafide reviews on how the warmer cooks.

The box I built will do both, it hot holds at a steady 165' and there is a damper where I can open up the chamber to more heat and smoke. I have even used it to smoke sausage. I designed the warming box to hold full size hotel pans and also have a few wood dowels to hang sausage. There is a damper right on top of the firebox built out of 6" pipe with a screw-type lid that can be opened as little, or lot if needed. The box will hold 25 butts(5 on each rack).

05-31-2012-spring-youth-fair-BBQ-038-1024x768.jpg

05-31-2012-spring-youth-fair-BBQ-038-1024x768.jpg" alt="" width="640" height="480"

Last edited:
I'm saving for a Lang smoker and I have read mixed reviews on the deluxe warmer for it. Some say it does not get hot or smoky enough, and others say it gets too hot. I'd love some bonafide reviews on how the warmer cooks.

I too am saving for a Lang. I thought the warmer box on a Lang had a damper to control the amount of heat/smoke entering it.

Last edited:
It does have a damper to let more smoke go through the warmer box. you can shut off the main chimney stack and run all the smoke through the warmer. it also has two exhaust dampers at the top of the warmer box, one on each side. When my cooker is running at 250 degrees the warmer box runs steady at about 175. I have never cooked ribs in mine but I have smoked Salmon, brauts, Boudain, and baked beans of course.

Mine is definitely to cook with... It runs about 75 degrees less than the main chamber temp.. Mine is a tradional offset

I cook on mine. It will run around 225 while the main chamber is running 285.

Traditional offset with vertical chamber which my exhaust runs through.. So all heat from the smoker escapes out if the vertical

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 385
So, it looks like you can do a low and slow cook in the warmer if you are doing a hot and fast cook in the main chamber; otherwise, it really is just a warmer. I think I'll just keep hold cooked meats in a cooler covered with towels like I have been doing, or buy a cambro or two. Paying for a non-portable warmer that you can't really cook in is not worth it to me.

For folks that "hold" meat in these warmer boxes how do you do that exactly? Wrap in foil and keep the temp at a certain level (175?). Just curious.

For folks that "hold" meat in these warmer boxes how do you do that exactly? Wrap in foil and keep the temp at a certain level (175?). Just curious.
Yep, just that easy(170-175), also for vending the health depts like them more than Cambro's for hot holding.

I cook on a tuned Klose trailer pit and my box runs the same temp as the main cooking chamber. I cook ribs, brisket, chicken and sausage in mine. I have never tried to use it as a warmer, but I guess I could if I took out the tuning plates

The box I built will do both, it hot holds at a steady 165' and there is a damper where I can open up the chamber to more heat and smoke. I have even used it to smoke sausage. I designed the warming box to hold full size hotel pans and also have a few wood dowels to hang sausage. There is a damper right on top of the firebox built out of 6" pipe with a screw-type lid that can be opened as little, or lot if needed. The box will hold 25 butts(5 on each rack).

05-31-2012-spring-youth-fair-BBQ-038-1024x768.jpg

05-31-2012-spring-youth-fair-BBQ-038-1024x768.jpg" alt="" width="640" height="480"
That is a great looking grill. I am looking to build one similar. Any chance I could come by and look at this when I am in the Kalama area?

So, it looks like you can do a low and slow cook in the warmer if you are doing a hot and fast cook in the main chamber; otherwise, it really is just a warmer. I think I'll just keep hold cooked meats in a cooler covered with towels like I have been doing, or buy a cambro or two. Paying for a non-portable warmer that you can't really cook in is not worth it to me.

On the Lang, you can get the warming box just as hot and smoky as the main chamber. When I've done big cooks, I've had 9 butts in there and they cook the same as all the others. It also works great as just a warming box if you want to keep food warm.

Back