UDS Basket Pictures

blueshound75

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Just like it said folks interesting ideas for UDS charcoal basket like this one.

Attachments

• basket uds.jpg
    basket uds.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 867
Here is mine. Not my invention, copied the idea from JDDER30 but I added the ashtray built into the bottom so cleanup is easy.

Attachments

• SG102225.jpg
    SG102225.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 849
  • SG102243.jpg
    SG102243.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 838
  • JD_UDS_CBOX2.jpg
    JD_UDS_CBOX2.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 846
Heres an original idea...

Attachments

• cooking photos 056.jpg
    cooking photos 056.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 768
Here's mine - haven't finished the UDS yet as I'm moving, but at least I have the charcoal basket done. I also installed a state of the art handle made from a clothes hanger from a Beverly Hills dry cleaner...:biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_0553.jpg
    IMG_0553.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 759
Nice looking basket Moose.
However, you may want to make the legs longer to increase the draft.
The side on the pan has a tendency to stifle it a bit.
I would recommend that the bottom of the basket be no lower
than the rim of the ash can is tall.

Weiser

Here's mine - haven't finished the UDS yet as I'm moving, but at least I have the charcoal basket done. I also installed a state of the art handle made from a clothes hanger from a Beverly Hills dry cleaner...:biggrin:

Nice looking basket Moose.
However, you may want to make the legs longer to increase the draft.
The side on the pan has a tendency to stifle it a bit.
I would recommend that the bottom of the basket be no lower
than the rim of the ash can is tall.

Weiser

Thanks for the tip - what you are saying makes perfect sense. Very easy to swap those screws out for some longer ones. However, in doing so, it will elevate the basket above the draft holes/valves. Do you think that might also stifle the draft?

blues, that is almost identical to what I built for my bandera.
This will not fit in my drum but have been thinking about a smaller version for the UDS. The seperator on the right side is adjustable. Prolly fill the basket full and let it migrate for a long burn. Kinda makes cents for a a long burn in a UDS. Ya know, more than one way to skin a chicken!

Attachments

• Bandera Firebox tac weld.JPG
    Bandera Firebox tac weld.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 750
25tzxwy.jpg

attachment.php

Nice looking basket. I think the UDS works better with a fire burning from the the center out.

After using this basket, starting the fire on one end or in the middle made no difference. The drum maintained an even controllable temp throughout the entire cook.

I don't understand the maze concept.
What is the advantage?
Weiser

I purchased this charcoal basket along with my Klose offset. Give Dave Klose a call maybe he can better explain the "maze concept"
The advantage of it to me was I didn't have to spend more money or make a charcoal basket for my UDS.

The bottom of my two baskets are at 3.5"and 4" above the bottom
of the drum. The Intake holes are at 2.5" from the bottom of the drum.
The draft is excellent on both drums. Hope this helps Moose.

Weiser

Thanks for the tip - what you are saying makes perfect sense. Very easy to swap those screws out for some longer ones. However, in doing so, it will elevate the basket above the draft holes/valves. Do you think that might also stifle the draft?

Blues Brother, use the thinnest angle iron possible. Mine is one inch no need for bigger. I am wondering if one could be made out of expanded metal. Extra work to cut on the right line to avoid the barbs, and bent at a 90 like angle iron. It would be much lighter for lifting out of the drum. I like mine and the ease of cleanup.

My basket is different but cheap. The ash pan is a cheap three leg BBQ I scavenged, the grill is the charcoal grill from a 22" kettle and the body is a section of a cheap bullet style smoker I relegated to parts. I perforated it with a uni bit. I used stainless steel threaded road to bolt eveything together as it was way cheaper than SS bolts of comparable length.

I've gotten 18+ hour burns so it must be working. The only thing I would change is raising the grate by another inch or so.

drumdone3.jpg

I've done a few different ones...

WSM ring mod...

IMG_6261.jpg

Sheet metal shop mod...

IMG_3895.jpg

My current one...

IMG_6817.jpg

Here is mine. Not my invention, copied the idea from JDDER30 but I added the ashtray built into the bottom so cleanup is easy.
Barbarian I'm sure you've been asked this before but what are the dimensions of your basket? I had a round one made with the charcoal grate from a 22" Weber but it was too big to get out easy and I like the looks of yours. Thanks in advance.

jwalk, mine is 15.5" square. You can get a 15.9" square inside a 22.5" circle so I just made it a touch smaller to make sure it went in and came out easily which it does.

Back