Mad Science Experiment - Smoke Rings

The results are in!!!

Pieces came off at different times over the course of about 45 minutes, but I had a system to keep everything organized and when all the pieces were ready I was able to process them systematically. This is a good thing because when I took the pictures off my camera I found I had only taken 14 photos, so I missed taking photos of two pieces. Because of the system I was able to quickly identify exactly which pieces did not get pictures. It was the Dry Brined piece and the Wet Brined piece.

The system I had to keep everything in order was to put toothpicks in the pieces in each cooker to identify which ones they were. Then when taking pieces off of the cooker, I had three different pans to put them in, so only pieces from the same cooker wound up in a pan. Then from the number of toothpicks in each piece in the pan I knew exactly what cooker and what piece it was. Then when evaluating them I did them in a specific order by cooker and number of toothpicks and wrote down the results for that cooker and piece number.

The pictures were taken as I processed the pieces, so they followed that same order, and I also included the toothpicks in the photos for identification if needed. It's a good thing I did because this is how I was able to figure out which pieces I had forgotten to take photos of.

OK, I know you are itching for the results, here they are. All pieces were cooked to between 195 and 200 degrees. The cookers were running at 275 throughout the cooking process. to measure the smoke ring, I sliced each piece in half and took the measurement of the smoke ring at its thickest point that was not a corner or gouge/cavity.

WSM w/Water Pan - Plain
1/2 inch thick smoke ring. Boring flavorwise.
Final_Wet_Plain.jpg

WSM w/Water Pan - Spritzed
1/2 inch thick smoke ring. Boring flavorwise.
Final_Wet_Spritzed.jpg

WSM w/Water Pan - Brined
1/2 inch thick smoke ring. Tasted rather good actually.
(sorry, no photo)

WSM w/Water Pan - Rubbed
3/8 inch thick smoke ring. Tasted good.
Final_Wet_Rubbed.jpg

WSM w/Water Pan - Slathered and Rubbed
Final_Wet_SlatherAndRub.jpg

WSM w/Water Pan - Brined, Slathered, Rubbed and Spritzed
3/8 inch thick smoke ring. Tasted better than the others.
Final_Wet_All.jpg

WSM w/Sand Pan - Plain
1/2 inch thick smoke ring. Boring tasting.
Final_Dry_Plain.jpg

WSM w/Sand Pan - Spritzed
1/2 inch thick smoke ring. Boring tasting.
Final_Dry_Spritzed.jpg

WSM w/Sand Pan - Brined
1/2 inch thick smoke ring. Good meat flavor.
(sorry, no photo)

WSM w/Sand Pan - Rubbed
Final_Dry_Rubbed.jpg

WSM w/Sand Pan - Slathered and Rubbed
Final_Dry_SlatherAndRub.jpg

WSM w/Sand Pan - Brined, Slathered, Rubbed and Spritzed
3/8 inch thick smoke ring - This one had the best bark and best flavor of all of the pieces today.
Final_Dry_All.jpg

Oven - Plain
No smoke ring at all. This was the most boring flavor of all of them.
Final_Oven_Plain.jpg

Oven - Tenderquick rub
5/8 inch thick smoke ring. This tasted OK. Nothing special.
Final_Oven_TQ.jpg

Oven - Liquid Smoke and Tenderquick Rub
5/8 inch thick smoke ring. This did not taste bad, but if I was sereved this anywhere I would never order it again. The smoke flavor did not taste like real smoke and was very subtle and kinda weird tasting. I would never mistake this for real smoked BBQ, no way, no how.
Final_Oven_LiquidSmokeAndTQ.jpg

Oven - Cherry Wood Ash
1/4 inch light colored smoke ring, but it was there! I did not taste it however.
Final_Oven_WoodAsh.jpg

I was surprised at how clear the results seem to be at initial glance. There are some noticeable patterns in these results. Here is what I am taking from this at first glance.

1. Cooking in a gas oven does not produce a smoke ring. (I knew this already though, but nobody can say I didn't include this)

2. Wood ash on meat does indeed form a smoke ring.

3. Meat cooked in an oven with Liquid Smoke could not fool anyone familiar with real BBQ.

4. Introducing extra moisture to the meat from a water pan, brining or spritzing has no effect on smoke ring penetration.

5. Adding a rub to the meat reduces penetration of the smoke ring. Slathers, spritzes and brines do not seem to cause any more reduction in the smoke ring, it appears to be just the rub that makes this difference.

Well, that's what happened today folks. Feel free to chime in with your thoughts.

Final Beer Tally: 11 :lol: I either overestimated with the 30 pack, or underconsumed. We went out earlier for a birthday dinner and is why it took me so long to post the results. So I had to stop drinking the beers from the 30 pack. I guess this means I have extras for the leftovers, so it's all good.

Great job. Now chop it all up and mix it all together and feed somebody.

Very interesting. Thanks for the results. Now send me the leftover beers and pork!!:-D

Great job. Im wondering if all the toothpick holes let the air out of the smoke rings....I'll go to my room now...

Very interesting experiment! Thanks for sharing the results.

Great job. Im wondering if all the toothpick holes let the air out of the smoke rings....I'll go to my room now...
DOH!:shock: I never thought of that!:lol:

Maybe if you drank more beer you would have been able to try the one covered in cherry ash.
No way. The pic does not do it justice. It did not look even remotely appetizing, and it smelled ashy. You woul dhave to be wasted to eat something like that, and there would have to be the promise of money or sex to probably entice the person to do so.

That was interesting and enlightening. From your post, it seems the brined pork was best. I have not brined a butt, but from your analysis, I may have to give it try.

Doesn't wood ash turn to lye in certain situations?

Hmmm... I better not eat it then!:icon_bugeyed I'm only doing that one to see if thre really is any factor from the wood ash in the smoke ring. The only way that piece of meat could possibly get a smoke ring is from the ash.

That's right - the traditional situation where wood as turns to lye is when it is exposed to animal fat - as in making lye soap.

I would worry about this chemical reaction more than I would worry about galvanized steel in my cooking chamber.

I'm enjoyed reading your findings!

Thanks Chris. Interesting indeed. Have never brined....might have to try it. BTW, I would have finished the beer...but then that's me

All, I shoudl have mentioned that I tried brining a whole butt a couple years back. I brined it for 48 hours an d found it only penetrated about 1.5 inches into the meat. The only reason I think it worked this time was becuase I had quartered the butts, and there were no pieces over 3 inches thick. So the strong brine I made was able to penetrate thoroughly. The brine water when I drained it was a lovely pink color, and the meat tasted a little hammy and the flavor was ehanced from the salt. It was good. However, trying to brine a whole butt will probably just disappoint you.

These pieces were too small to deal with injecting in my opinion and is why I brined them instead. I think injecting a butt is a way to "brine" quickly. It gets a salty-solution with optional flavors added down into the meat quickly making it more moist in the end. I'm of the opinion that injecting a solution with salt into the meat gives you the benefit of brining by making the proteins wrap around the water molecules in the inject solution and trapping them in the meat while it cooks, the same as brining, except you are increasing the initial surface are the solution is exposed to by putting it inside the meat as opposed to waiting for it to fully absorb.

My brining in this experiment was basically similar to an inject in my opinion, but without any sweet or flavorings added. You can add those to brines as easily as to an inject, and a lot of people do.

Great job! Still think you should have tried the cherry ash rubbed one. Could of been interesting flavor and it has loads of potassium! Can't imagine how much ash I ate as a boy scout after dropping my meal onto the coals accidently.

I know I dont like the hammy flavor from my Ribs that are "enhanced"
so I probally wouldnt like a butt brined.

This expierement has inspired me. I have to do two buts for a church function this weekend. I think I am going to inject, slather and rub them both the same and then try and test the 140 degree hypothesis.

You know, the theory that once the meat reaches 140 degrees you don't get any more smoke penetration? I will start one in the oven and the other on the smoker and then when the oven butt reached 140, transfer it to the smoker.

This should be sufficient validation don't you think? Given both buts will be blended together for serving I should not have that much issue taste wise.

I also recall that there is one theory that you get no more smoke penetration after the first 3 hours. I may try this the next time I cook and start a butt in the oven and then add it to the smoker after 3 or 4 hours of cooking.

Back