Why do people put Sugar in their Rub?

QDoc

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
With the wonderful bark created with just salt and pepper and problems with burning, Why? Is it a comp thing because people like sweet candy?
One of my complaints about my Q is lack of seasoning deep within the meat without injecting which I don't like to do.

Too many people drinking too many soft drinks all of their lives. Sweet has become the normal taste of all foods and drinks.

It tastes yummy. Sugar offers another level of flavor. Just because someone uses sugar doesn't mean he/she is using so much that it tastes like candy.

I personally love the sweet profile that it provides. Overall I have a very sweet tooth, and it just runs over into my BBQ!

Nothing wrong with sugar, unless you use too much or let it burn. A lot people use turbinado aka raw cane sugar in their rubs. It burns less.

Last edited:
I don't put sugar in a lot of my rubs because I prefer the taste without it. I do use brown sugar sometimes depending on the bark I'm trying to get as sugar caramalizes and creates a unique texture. I can also do the same thing with a late saucing but it's all in the finish I'm going for.

With the wonderful bark created with just salt and pepper and problems with burning, Why? Is it a comp thing because people like sweet candy?
One of my complaints about my Q is lack of seasoning deep within the meat without injecting which I don't like to do.

Salt and sweet is about as classic a combination as there is. :wink:

John

I reckon I'm strange I don't do sweet especially on beef. I do admit using a little Splenda in my pork rub but it is a balancing thing not a predominate flavor.I try to cover the tastebuds spectrum Sweet, Salty, Bitter,Sour.

I like a little sweet to balance out the heat. I don't compete so I'm cooking to our tastes/likes.

Hell, you don't need salt to make a good bark. All that crap is for amateurs who just want to get bloated and have high blood pressure. If you don't like plain old bland meat, then you're just a farking sissy arse ninny!:mad:

Hell why even bother smoking it just toss that hunk of cow flesh in the crook pot with some spring water for flavoring.:laugh:

Last edited:
I like the sweet/savory profile for my pork and sometimes chicken, rarely on beef, prefer the beef without sweet, but sometimes in the name of experimentation or to try something new it will get in there, or in specific dishes, such as some of the asian stir frys and such.

I usually glaze my ribs so I prefer not too much sugar in my rubs cause the sweet comes from my glaze.

Back