• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

SPECIAL - BBQ Brethren "Noobians vs. Veterans" Throwdown!!!

What's the story on multiple entries guys?
Now calm down, you know what I mean, offerings that fit into two categories, can my go-to-meal also be entered in the "Kick Arse-Kiss Arse War between the brothers Noob and Vets?
What say you, rulers of conflict and mayhem?

Buccs, I went back to the beginning of the thread to read the rules, not wanting to give bad advice, and found what you want on Page 10 -- posting #138. My problem is that while I was reading posts showing how the rules were evolving I quoted them -- reached a threshold of quoted posts leaving no room for the one to answer your question. I pulled up different windows, logged off twice, went to the kitchen and made us Dark'n'Stormies and still the thread remembers what I quoted before I logged off. Great talent but not what I wanted. Can you quote the post and bring it into our discussion/view? Hopefully deleting those now unwanted posts and putting this in instead will "clear my board". :oops:

ATTENTION ALL!!!

In order to generate more attention, and to help each team gather as many entries as possible...

MULTIPLE ENTRIES ARE ALLOWED FOR THIS TD ONLY!!!

Now get cooking you farkity farkanauts...oh, and you Kathy!
When you are done, vote for Buccs!!!
okay, I may have farked with the quote...but only a little...:wink:

Official Entry

Please accept this an official entry in the "Noobians vs. Veterans" throwdown.

The noobs have been pretty quiet lately. I suspect they're trying to lull us old farkers to sleep (it doesn't take much to do that).

Well, I'm not going to fall for it (in other words, better post this stuff before my nap).

I had a busy multi-cook day yesterday but prepared another brisket bomb for the Noobian horde:
IMG_2612.jpg

full cook details can be found here.

Official Entry

Please accept this an official entry in the "Noobians vs. Veterans" throwdown.

And in the interest of keeping Farkanaut defenese expenses down, I launched some low cost munitions (tri-tip, bread, corn casserole, & peaches):

IMG_2665.jpg

Cook details are here.

OK, I'm done for a while, time for a nap. :grin:

Poor Noobs.
Pork loin went on special down here, $8 per kilo so:
Pork Loin Rolled,boneless.
300grams table salt
1 tsp Star Anise
2 tsp ground white pepper
1Tbs allspice
1tsp Five Spice Powder
2 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cardamom
Fresh Extra Virgin Olive Oil-best quality
(If only retail commercial brands are accessible, use grapeseed oil instead.)
Vegetables.
Baby onions
Kipfler potatoes
Head of garlic
Cabbage
-----------
Salted Butter
Balsamic vinegar
Sea salt
Pepper
----------------
Score pork skin well with a knife.
Toast whole spices and grind, mix well with salt in a bowl.
Rub over pork and wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
Wash salt off pork and dry well with paper towels, then put onto a wire rack over a dish and place in refrigerator for another 6 hours or overnight.
MoransPorkSaltandSpicecrust.jpg

Baby onions topped and tailed and a cross cut in the root end, just 1/4 of an inch deep.
Leave skin on.
Separate a head of garlic into individual cloves, skin on.

Slice cabbage into inch wide slices, core removed.
Method.
Heat BBQ to 160C/320F and place pork onto a trivet in a baking tray and rub skin with EVOO and dust with a sprinkling of the spiced salt.
Place baby onions and garlic into tray and toss in EVOO.
MoransPorkintoBSK.jpg

Place tray into BBQ and cook for 45 minutes.
Check garlic and remove if done, turn onions and check internal temperature.
Our target is 50C/120F.
While this step is taking place, parboil potatoes in their skins for 15-20 minutes until just tender.

Cool and remove skins and slice into thick chunks and oil and salt.

Once the pork Internal Temperature of 50c?120F is reached, increase temperature of BBQ to 250C/500F.

(At this point, resuscitation may be necessary for American BBQers, but trust Bucc here and do it.)
The vegetables should be removed at this juncture, they should be done.
MoransPorkBSK.jpg

Keep warm in warmer.
Place potatoes into oil in the pan under the pork and cook until pork reaches and internal temperature of 72C/160F-75C/167F if you like medium pork.

Pull and rest, the temperature will reach about 80C/175F.
MoransPorkresting.jpg

Peel the garlic and the onions and plate , and if you like use one onion and 3 mellow garlic to blend with the pan juices to make your gravy.
Sieve for finest results with gravies.
MoransPorktemp.jpg

Cabbage: Place into a saucepan with one centimetre of water, a thumb size piece of butter, a drizzle of EVOO and balsamic vinegar, a pinch of sea salt and white pepper and cook on high heat covered for 3 minutes, or until just tender.
Strain and serve, pouring over a little of the cooking liquid if desired.
Please use this as my money shot
MoransPorkplated.jpg

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2181688#post2181688

My official Noobian entry!

OK Here is my official entry!

I bought 2 catfish fillets from the store. I had some little aluminum pans in the cabinets. So I put one in each pan, rubbed them down with olive oil and a lemon and herb rub, then I put a little bit of Tallgrass's Halcyon wheat. Then I let them marinate a little while the smoker came up to temp and everything. While I was getting the smoker ready my wife rubbed some corn down with butter and S&P and then wrapped the husks back over them to cook with the fish.

2012-08-18_16-52-09_479.jpg

2012-08-18_16-52-17_924.jpg

2012-08-18_17-09-32_249.jpg

when the smoker got up to about 200 I threw the fish and corn on with some apple wood chunks. I didnt get any mid cook pictures because I got busy drinking beer and talking with neighbors...:mod:.

I took them off after about 2.5-3 hours when it started to flake. After removing the husks from the corn I plated it all up (which I actually got pictures of this time!).

The fish must of been the best food I have smoked so far. I think I will be doing this cook again very soon! Thanks to Kickassbbq for the great recipe I found on this site!!!

2012-08-18_20-02-19_405.jpg

Please use that picture above for the entry!

Please accept this picture. Oh and I'm on the noobians squad, this is my 2nd TD (actually 3rd because I also entered it in the under 15 bucks TD). I wont lie, even though I lost big time the first go around, I think I'm getting TD addiction.

The whole post can be found here. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141907

IMG_0030.jpg

my offical entry #3

Captian the SS Farkanaunt on the starboard side shall I deploy a few moink granades? With a few rib bombs?
a few moink balls on
moink balls.jpg
moink balls done and ready to fire sir!
moink balls done2.jpg
ribs done Captian ready to deploy pay load!!! (this is the entry pic)
ribs done.jpg
Captian they are so done they are falling apart. Captian "we shall eat them for get the Vets we will eat these ourselves!"
fall apart.jpg

Smell it! now taste it!

Fark that was gooooood!!!!!!!

An Official Entry for the Noobian alliance

Bacon Wrapped Venison Fatty

Here is the break down on the cost. My receipt shows $18.27 , however I did not use everything pictured or on the receipt. I did not use the Hot Cereal or Lucinda's Basil Leaves and I purchased two Green peppers but only used one. Total deductions 18.27 - 5.29 = 12.98. Now add in the venison cost. A buddy of mine drove his truck, used his gas, his gun, and his rounds. Harvested a buck and we agreed to split the processing fees. We paid 75.00 for 60 - 1.lb packages of ground meat and sausage. Comes to 1.25 / .lb. and I used only 2/3 of each package for this meal. Comes to $ .84/package a total of $1.68. Now 12.98 +1.68=14.66. Pics to follow later, once I download them. :grin:

attachment.php

The Ingredients - remember I did not use the Oat meal,the Basil and used only 1 Bell pepper.
attachment.php

The Receipt
attachment.php

The Bacon weaved very nicely, used apple smoked thick cut bacon.
attachment.php

Layer 1 - Put the Venison Ground meat on top of the Weaved bacon and placed onions and bell peppers and Cheese on top of venison.
attachment.php

Layer 2 - Then layered the Venison Sausage, put onions and bell peppers and cheese on top of that
attachment.php

Rolled carefully with the help of tin foils and here is the Fatty Log
attachment.php

Ah!! The sides, teriyaki soaked green beans, wrapped with the remaining bacon and rolled in Brown sugar.
attachment.php

The Machines!!!
attachment.php

Red Potatoes soaked in Salt, Garlic, and Onion Powder.
attachment.php

Ah!! The sides, again on the grill.
attachment.php

The Perfect temp for low and slow, cooked the Fatty for about 2 1/2 hours.
attachment.php

Now resting for 45 minutes.
attachment.php

The Slices, now that looks pretty good.
attachment.php

And now Mr. Bigamus Bytamus the finale and please use this last pic as my money shot pic. Enjoy!!!:razz:

Time to Return Fire from the Noobian Alliance

REMEMBER THIS TORPEDO IS A:
THROW DOWN WINNER!!!
Now that's a Bomb!!!

Mr. Bigamus Bytamus , is this a torpedo a legal shot?

I started with marinading a "LONDON" Broil for two days, in Thomas Marinade and Extra Virgin Olive Oil for this great display of Pron.
Other ingredients: Eggplant, White Onions, Green Bell Peppers, Assorted baby Bell Peppers, Smoked thick Bacon, Portabella Mushrooms, Yellow Squash, Wild Rice, Corn, Asparagus and of course English Muffins. All for this salute to London for being the city chosen for the 2012 Olympic Games.

attachment.php

The Two Day Marinading
attachment.php

The Ingredients ready to go!
attachment.php

The Tribute to the Olympic Eternal Flame
attachment.php

The making of the Rings, White Onions soaked in the proper colors of the Olympic, used grilled eggplant for the Black ring,
attachment.php

Grilled most veggies with Olive oil and Spices and Lemon Pepper.
attachment.php

The British Dept of Ag....prime beef London Broil, Ok maybe USDA prime beef.
attachment.php

Torch pieces grill'n, Wrapped the Aspargus in thick bacon, rolled in dark brown sugar. This was awesome and used as the handle to the Torch you will see later.
attachment.php

The Branding just so you understand.
attachment.php

The London Brand of Beef
attachment.php

Golden Skillet Grilled Corn
attachment.php

Torch parts for the build
attachment.php

The Torch made out of 1 green bell pepper, Flame portion is baby red, orange, and yellow bell peppers, a portabella mushroom (to keep any oil from running on your hand as you carry this torch to the lighting of he Olympic flame.
attachment.php

The Final Tribute to London, you will see the London Broil slices on a bed of English Wild Rice Risotto surrounded by grilled English Muffins and the golden grilled yellow squash and the golden skillet grilled corn depicting only Gold of course.

"Burning for the Gold because Silver or Bronze just isn't good enough!!!."

Enjoy!!! I sure did, I put together an English Muffin Sandwich and this was Farking Outstanding, only regret is was I had to take it apart to eat....yeah right. It was absolutely Pronographic.:mrgreen::biggrin1:

Back