For the Love of Money or the Game?

If BBQ competitions had $0 entry fees and no cash payout, how would that affect your competition sch

• I would compete less.

Votes: 32 45.1%
  • I would compete about the same.

Votes: 23 32.4%
  • I would compete more.

Votes: 16 22.5%

• Total voters

dmprantz

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm wondering what the general consensus here is. If you attend BBQ comps, do you do it for the experience or the payout? A few times people have asked about what payouts should be, and now there have been a few threads with people concerned that big money comps will kill small comps, so I ask you, if all BBQ comps had a $0 entry fee, and the only thing you got for winning was a ribbon or trophy, how would that affect your competitive schedule?

I do it for both:-D I love the experience (friends, family, being outside, traveling, ect), I'm ultra competitive (and too old/fat to play sports so this replaces that for me), but without the chance to win some costs back I would do less. For our team teams the entry fees are less than half of the overall cost to compete. I couldn't justify it

I would compete every weekend if the entry fee was $0! I love doing it, and the money isn't a motivator at all.

I do it for both:-D I love the experience (friends, family, being outside, traveling, ect), I'm ultra competitive (and too old/fat to play sports so this replaces that for me), but without the chance to win some costs back I would do less. For our team teams the entry fees are less than half of the overall cost to compete. I couldn't justify it

Sums it up for me.

Well, since I haven't won any $$ yet, I enjoy competing, and it is costing $$ to enter the contests...your option of $0 entry would technically be $200+ payout (in savings) each contest to every contestant.

I have to win money to be able to compete, so there's no way I could do it as often.

If the money makes you feel dirty, then donate it to a charity. The entry fee is typically not my top expense when comes to showing up on friday.

Now if someone wants to completely foot the bill then I might show up more often, but I dont have people beating down my door with bags of money.

Probably would do it about the same.

Time is more of an issue than money lately.

The chance to win GC or RGC money is what keeps me going. When you spend $400+ for a comp a $10 check does no good.

I enjoy hanging with friends and family and meeting new people, but if you consistanty are going to compete, it will be for the chance of a payday.

Tyler

We do it for the game man. We got in this to have fun, if we accomplish that then it is a good day of Que. And if we win then its a great day of Que. I think if you are just in it for the money then you are missing the entire point of the sport.

Neil

I would do it less, not because in it for the money to show off, trophies last alot longer. But to do it and get the money to do more comps. Must be nice to have endless money to do all the time.

If we had a bunch of local comps, we'd probably compete just for pride and trophies, but really, the entry fee is one of the smaller costs involved for us. We usually spend more in gas than on an entry fee.. soooo we really gotta have a chance to make something back to cover some of our other costs.

If we had a bunch of local comps, we'd probably compete just for pride and trophies, but really, the entry fee is one of the smaller costs involved for us. We usually spend more in gas than on an entry fee.. soooo we really gotta have a chance to make something back to cover some of our other costs.

Same here. The cost of getting to comps is the biggest. We have one local event in the spring. Other than that you have to drive a good distance usually.

Under your senerio, I would start competing more and golfing less.

No entry fee, and no payout.... what about the meat, etc.... do we pay for it?

Of course I would compete more.... the entry fee to me is the killer, then add the meat, the gas, etc..... Yes, I really like to compete for the "family" time with everyone. I love walking around yelling hi to everyone, taking pictures, sharing coffee in the morning with those that don't have any, and every once in a while, getting a call, that is just the icing on the cake so to speak. Some people just take it too seriously, but that is ok by me. I just like to have a good time with great people, win lose or draw.

I wouldn't compete at all...kinda like playing Texas Holdem with no pot!! What's the point?

Back