View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I agree with what your saying and it makes sense, however and this is only my opinion........ whether its a Pitmaker , Backwoods, Gator,UDS or a WSM. none where designed to use forced draft so using one is overkill like putting a Holley 1150 dp on a Pinto. I still don't get the fascination with a Guru or a Stoker especially on a vertical pit that is insulated and designed to run at a steady temp for hrs. IE a UDS once the desired temp is achieved it will hold it until it runs out of fuel. A Pitmaker being insulated will hold temps even better so why use one of these devices?
I have to disagree with you on the 1150 dominator on a pinto as relatin to BBQ Because your comparing apples to apples not apples to oranges.
Although the dominator will work, your still facing the fact that your comparing natiral aspiration to natural aspiration which is the natural draw or vacuum of the engine (pit). Your placing of the dominator into the eauation is irrelevant because your still using vacum but reducing the efficiency of the engine. This is directly related to the law of diminishing returns.
Almost all engines inherently benifit from forced induction, they become more efficient.
As to not understanding the fascination with a guru. Well let's go into further detail. I can overfuel my pit to 100% max fuel capacity, the same that cars do when they travel, they fill up. The difference is that once you get the draft set right, you go to sleep depending on weather conditions and you may or may not be above/below your setpoint 20 deg or so or I can load my drum up with 20 lbs of lump get it going, and I know without a doubt that I will be at exactly the setpoint 5-12 hrs later no matter what I'm doing. Even though none of the car manufactures or Pit builders design their stuff to be used with forced induction (BBQ guru) it still makes them more efficient

Last edited by jmoney7269; 10-28-2012 at 09:44 PM..
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote