First Cook on the UDS

swinn

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well I finally get er dirty today after a week of sitting and looking at her doing nothing. Picked up a couple chickens and popped them in a brine over night, got em out and rinsed them off and this is where the pics start.

Got them patted dry and evaluate what needs to be trimmed. Just some fatty flaps at the bottom and the little fat tail.

Next I got them injected and rubbed down:

Loaded up the basket with some lump and a couple chunks of pecan.

Fired up the chimney. I usually just use the side burner but I ran out of propane and I didn't feel like kneeling down on the wet concrete so I wadded up some paper.

Set the basket in and have everything waiting for the chimney to catch up.

after I dumped in the lit lump I am waiting for it to come up to temp. You cant really see it in this pic but it has just the lightest Thin Blue Smoke drifting out.

Set them on breast side up for a couple hours then flipped them over, almost forgot to snap a pic.

A couple more hours and flipped back over and they are ready to come off. Reading 180 on the probe:

I was not able to get a pic of it sliced and plated because they family was ready to dig in, but it went on with some homemade au gratin potatoes and peas and a pretzel bread roll. Washed down with some fresh brewed Iced tea.

Hope everyone enjoyed it. I REALLY love this UDS. I was able to put the birds on, stabilize the temp and then run to the store and get groceries. I could never do that with the Bandera, it would either have went cold or burned up by the time I got back!!

I frequently abandon my UDS during cooks. A few weeks ago i moved. I started the UDS at the old house, threw on a brisket. Packed everything, moved everything into the new house, went back and picked up my now done brisket and let the UDS cool down before tying it into the truck. Had brisket at the new house.

Nice looking! ...I'd hit that!
I do too; I'll get something going early Sat or Sunday morning and just let it ride while I am gone. Mine loves to sit just under 250, or at 275 depending on where I park it. Took a while to learn to trust it though.

Chicken looks good. Why is there a can of beans in the center of your charcoal basket??

Good looking chicken! Mine likes to ride about 275-280 with no problem :biggrin1:

Great looking birds! I love drum chicken. :-D

Is it possible to get one to run 350 with out further mods?

Yes, just open another vent a crack. im doing 26 pounds of pork butt right now, at 300-325 with spikes to 350. Cant wait till its done.

Yes, just open another vent a crack. im doing 26 pounds of pork butt right now, at 300-325 with spikes to 350. Cant wait till its done.

I'm running all three vents wide open. I suspect I need to light more of the coals at once to get a higher temp. Like remove the can in the middle and dump a full chimney in there and let er rip.

Ah, yeah i forgot you have nipples and valves. I have two UDS's one with home made slide vent and one with nipples and valves, the valved one is always much harder to get into the 3-350 range.

My wife made me a cover to fit my UDS. She took 2 Kettle covers from Wally World and cut the top out of one and glued it 2 together to make one long enough to cover the whole thing. She used a glue called E-6000, it is amazing stuff:

Back