• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Help! I need a BBQ sauce thats great with a brisket

krshome

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have a brisket on my UDS now and should be done in about 4 hours. I normally don't serve with a BBQ sauce on the side, but the group Im having over have all asked what kinda sauce will i have with it. I need help!! I'm way out in left field on this one and have no idea of what kind of sauce to make. Thanks for any help.

I am not a huge sauce fan, but Head country goes good with beef. If you can find it local, I would just buy a bottle.

Off the shelf? Stubb's Original maybe. Depends on the crowd- if they are asking for sauce for a brisket- may not matter what you have sitting beside it. SBR seems to be a fan favorite but I don't care for it on my brisket.

folk are funny.

For me to eat more than a slice of brisket it needs sauce of some type. I like more bold peppery sauces with brisket vs sweet. But whatever I use I'll cut it 50/50 with the brisket au jus so it's thinned. It's really good. Head country is great.

I agree with Jason TQ, something bold and peppery. I haven't made any sauce in a while, been using Rudy's sauce for brisket, but there are many on the web, look for one calling for lemon or citric acid.

Call em up and tell them cookout is canceled

Or this:

1 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup honey
1/4 molasses
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon chipotle pepper in adobo, minced
1 tablespoon ketchup
2 teaspoons Worchestershire sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
ground black pepper to taste

Or this: Stubbs-Sucklebusters-Kingsford- those little 4 pack that has different regional flavors

I found this on another forum (but posted by bludawg who used to post here often) when I was trying to figure out John Mueller's sauce recipe - I'm not sure if this is exactly his recipe, but it is damn good and the only thing I use on beef, which I rarely use sauce on anyway. I use de-fatted drippings from the brisket rather than the stock (and if there aren't enough drippings, I supplement with the stock). Quick, easy, and delicious. Towards the end of the cooked brisket's life in the fridge I'll chop it up and mix with this sauce for chopped beef.

This is the Dip served a J Mullers

Mueller BBQ Sauce
John Mueller

1 1/2 cups beef stock or broth
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons bacon drippings or unsalted butter
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 to 1 teaspoon (to taste) freshly ground coarse pepper

Directions:

Combine the beef stock, ketchup, onion, bacon drippings, salt and pepper in a medium pot.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer until onion is tender (approx. 10 minutes)
Remove from heat and set aside for at least 1 hour.
Reheat sauce before serving.

a few posts down in this thread:

http://www.texasbbqforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=27199

Definitely savory rather than sweet, and check for salt level before adding any.

Should have mentioned I prefer to make a homemade sauce, but keep the info coming I see a couple of good ideas so far. Thanks

one other thing, I know here in Texas some prefer a tangy, peppery sauce, (like me) and then you you have the other side that wants either no sauce or au jus style. In your case where they are asking for sauce, I would go with bold and peppery

John Henry's Slippery Hill sauce goes well with brisket. It is not in the least bit sweet.

Google Walter Jetton's sauce. He was LBJ's pit master back in the day. It is a good basic Texas sauce and is probably perfectly along the lines of what you are looking for. I like to thin it with beef broth and add black pepper. Lots of it. Add sugar or honey as needed if you like

Franklin's BBQ sauce is good with brisket, if you are a sauce person with beef.

Espresso BBQ Sauce
16 servings; makes a generous 2 cups

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups ketchup
  • 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup dark soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons freshly brewed espresso
  • 1-2 Tbs. brisket drippings, for flavoring, or Au Jus
Directions
Combine the ketchup, both vinegars, the dark soy sauce, garlic and onion powders and brown sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes, to form a sauce that's relatively thick and almost plum-colored. Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the espresso. If using, add the brisket drippings (about a tablespoon, or to taste). Let cool before serving or storing.

Back