• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Weber Platinum Smokey Joe Grill - 18 1/2"

Harbormaster is correct. The orginal Smokey Joe Platinum (also once known as a Jumbo Joe) was made until about 2007 or so. It has an 18 inch grate that is not interchangeable with the 18 1/2. It was set up like a larger version of today's Smokey Joe Gold (14 1/2). It has side vents like BBQChef33's picture shows. The brand new Smokey Joe Platinum is a shallower design that is based off the European/Australian "Compact Kettle" The new SJP also has one large bottom vent in the vein of today's Smokey Joe silver. It does have a locking bail that connects with the lid handle. I have seen the new SJP in Wal-mart and Target in my town.

All that being said, I feel the new model would be a good portable grill/smoker. With the shallow bowl it might take a little getting used to as far as amount of charcoal needed and temps. I have seen a few threads critical of the quality control on the new SJP however.

I have smoked pork shoulder, ham, meatloaf, ribs, chuckies, venison, chicken, and turkey breasts on my 2007 SJP. I love it as my go-to tailgate, fishing, hunting, family vacation grill.

I have never checked, to be honest.
The SJP is not the same as an 18.5 kettle mind you. Pretty sure the cooking grates are different sizes (SJP is actually an 18" grate I think).
If I think of it, I'll get one of my SJPs out and see if the lid fits on a kettle.

Also, Weber re-introduced the SJP this year, and it is different than the original SJPs of yore.

I asked the guy who has it and he measured inside the lid at 18.5". I want the lid for a mini uds, 18.5" would be golden :), 18 not so much. This one has the single bottom vent and 3 bent aluminum legs

SHN08PS.jpg

jX9Cszz.jpg

That looks like a standard Smokey Joe to me...the lid doesn't seem to be quite big enough based on the handle position.

But I could be wrong and I don't have any grills in front of me to verify...

That looks like a standard Smokey Joe to me...the lid doesn't seem to be quite big enough based on the handle position.

But I could be wrong and I don't have any grills in front of me to verify...

What the heck, a guy cannot have too many Webers hehe.

Bill

that pic is of a regular sj. and yes, weber got smart, finally, and made the new jj the same size as the regular 18.5 kettle. why they didn't do it before just amazes me.

OMG, I started this thread back in 2005. I remember seeing the trashcan cooker I used as my avatar and requesting that Meathead Wayne take a pic for me.

Good times :grin:

Harbormaster is correct. The orginal Smokey Joe Platinum (also once known as a Jumbo Joe) was made until about 2007 or so. It has an 18 inch grate that is not interchangeable with the 18 1/2. It was set up like a larger version of today's Smokey Joe Gold (14 1/2). It has side vents like BBQChef33's picture shows.

Yes, I have one, and I had to order a grate from Weber for it. They still had them, as of a couple months ago. I don't know if they still make the grates, or if they are just selling what they have in stock till it is gone.

The new "Jumbo Joe," as it is now labeled, is uses a standard 18.5 inch grate.

CD

SJP's and Jumbo Joes are the same about 90% of the time. But some Jumbo Joe's didn't come with a lid bale. Also some were 18" vs 18.5". Weber sure makes it confusing. That's without mentioning Weber called them the Outrider as well.

Last edited:
i tried the lids from a jj and an 18.5 kettle today. they fit either way and are basically the same. the 18.5 kettle had a welded on handle and the jj had a bolted on handle.
so yes, they are the same. the older sjp is differant.

OMG, I started this thread back in 2005. I remember seeing the trashcan cooker I used as my avatar and requesting that Meathead Wayne take a pic for me.

Good times :grin:

were u wearing pink suspenders?
1smiley_tap_foot.gif

I actually did a net search and it led me to that thread, made more sense to dredge it back up for the question than making a new thread, or seemed to anyway hehe.

Bill

Back