Ok Brothers of Q. I need help

Smoker101

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
i am looking to upgrade my smoking fun. I am looking for a smoker/grill that is not out of this world of the price range. I don't want anything too big also because i do not have all the space in the world to keep it. it would have to be nothing larger then the BGE or BSK. Price range would have to be at or lower then $700. I am not made of money. my gas smoker has left the building because it was not working with me so i want to use only lump charcoal. I don't like the side box smoker so that is out. the smoker has to be able to move around on black top (so wheels are a plus) will need to with stand all types of weather. I have been doing a lot of looking around and i am liking the BSK because it has a lot of things that come along with it like the nest, side shelves, and extra grates, cover also. I would buy the hitch attachment because then i can take it to my friends/family for cook outs and show them what real Q is all about. i know there are a lot of good people here and know a lot more then i do so all the help is welcomed. I will not be cooking for like 60 people or anything. but i want to be able to smoker more food if needed like no more then 15-20 most. (sorry if i feel very fussy but this is a big buy and i want to make it the last and right one for me.):-D

Go for the 22" WSM. It breaks down and is portable. If you insist on wheels, put it on a cart.

Go for the 22" WSM. It breaks down and is portable. If you insist on wheels, put it on a cart.

i was looking at them too but are you able to just grill on them too? if no smoke is needed? well the wheels would be for the really heavy ones if i go that way.

You can grill on them, but I use my kettles for grilling, so I do not grill on them. If you want a cooker designed to be both a combo smoker/grill, the BSK you are considering is a good bet. The 22 WSM gives you a lot of surface area you will thank yourself for later, and with the extra money you could find a 22" Kettle for grilling (they have wheels). Really though....I have a feeling you really want that BSK.:becky:

If it were me, I would go the WSM/Kettle route, I really like my kettle and really want a WSM. The BSK is an excellent cooker and quite versatile as well. It would take up less space than a dedicated smoker/dedicated grill but, it is not as good a smoker as a WSM, and a WSM is not really a good grill. A lot ends up being preference.

i own a gaser grill but i pulled out my 12" walmart sunbeam char grill and started to cook on it for the fun of it and i forgot how good food tasted on that. so that is why i was looking for a good one that does both. i will keep the gaser for just in case times when needed. i do like the bsk and for what i looked into them they are hard to find and i guess they improved them that smoking is not an issue now? not sure.

My go to guy on all things BSK is Brethren ZydecoPaws, his blog, No Excuses BBQ is an excellent reference of what a fanatical outdoor cooker can do with a BSK.

I think maybe a cabinet type smoker would fit your needs.

i was looking at them too but a lot of the cheaper ones people say they leak smoke from around the doors and such. the one i saw and like was the Backwoods chubby but that is way to much for me to pay and it is a little large.

Custom BBQ Pit MAybe you could have a local weld shop build you something like this, these are very easy to build with 1/8 or 3/16 metal

Go for the BSK, I smoke on mine, grill on it and get it up to about 700 F for pizza.

i was wanting a bsk but i am not able to find one close by. i was looking at there web site forum today and i found out they are changing them again called Big King Keg. and the really bad part is for what i found they want almost $900 for it. if i am going to pay that i will get an BGE. i am going crazy looking at everything out there. i have no idea what is good and what is not. maybe i should give up smoking and start a new hobbie....maybe pole dancing????...just kidding i will never give up cooking/smoking. it is just hard to find the right one.

Back