• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Baby backs & corn custard

R2Egg2Q

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I had just applied some rub (Obie-Cue's Sweet n' Heat) on a couple of baby back ribs when my wife mentioned she had prepped some corn custard. I figured I had extra space in the Egg so why not add it to the cook.

Ribs on the Egg (no foil cook):
IMG_5969_zps3f93f375.jpg

Put the corn custard in a cast iron skillet and put it on the upper grid about 90 mins into the cook:
IMG_5975_zps75e7d506.jpg

Ribs sauced with Bart's Blazin' Q sauce:
IMG_5984_zps59dd73f1.jpg

Ribs off the Egg & sliced:
IMG_5996_zps74468666.jpg

IMG_6008_zps43abff55.jpg

Had time for a taste while the corn custard was finishing up:
IMG_6011_zpsc3e1112d.jpg

Corn custard off & sliced:
IMG_6012_zps8837abd4.jpg

IMG_6015_zps549e0e05.jpg

Plated:
IMG_6018_zpsc2c7f403.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Very nice John, as always, beautiful cook.

And that corn custard looks great as well. I don't even know what that is, but, I want it

Corn Custard recipe

1 stick softened margarine
8 oz sour cream
1 can cream style corn
1 can whole kernel corn
1 pkg Jiffy corn bread mix (dry)
2 well-beaten eggs

Drain and save liquid from whole kernel corn. Combine beaten eggs and corn liquid. Add other ingredients (she used butter instead of margarine, cut it up into pats and spread them across the skillet). I used a 12" Lodge skillet but think a 9"-10" skillet would have been fine (better if you want a deeper corn custard).

Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

For this cook, my wife cut the butter and sour cream quantities in the recipe in half in an attempt to make this a little healthier. I don't recall how it tasted the last time (strictly following the recipe) to say if it was much different this time. This cook didn't taste overly buttery.

That's lookin really good! My better half makes her corn bread the same way, drizzles some butter and honey on top during the last 15 mins. When she's not looking I try to sneak in some chopped jalapenos :mad2:

Back