• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Need Recipe For Dumplings

Midnight Smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
My mom used to make dumplings when I was a kid. .

I cannot find any old recipes she kept.

They were NOT fluffy or bread like. You could cut them with a fork and were firm and kinda solid for lack of a better term (more like an Egg Noodle consistency). I am sure they are not very healthy either. :wink:

I have tried to find a recipe and just cannot find what I am looking for. So where better to ask but here.

Anyone have a good Dumpling recipe they can share? Thanks!!!

these are out of ancient Better Homes cookbook.
1 cup sifted all purpose flour, 2tsp. Baking powder, 1/2tsp. Salt, 1/2 cup milk, 2 table spoon oil,, mix all together and drop by tablespoon atop bubbling stew.

Or, easy, 3/4 cup milk to 2 cups bisquick mix, stir till just dampened, then drop by tablespoon atop bubbling stew.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Alton Brown did a dumpling recipe for the Food Network, that he said had roots in Pennsylvania Dutch cooking, they looked like thick noodles. Might be worth a look. HERE

AKA rolled dumplings. My Dad's favorite meal. He called them slickers. Chicken and slickers. My NC girl calls it chicken n' pastry.
2 cups ap flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
!/3 cup shortening
1 egg beaten
1/2 cup milk
Combine dry stuff, cut in shortening till coarse
Combine egg and milk and stir into dry stuff, enuf to make a firm dough
Roll into 1/8-1/4 inch thick , cut into strips.
Let dry a bit, on a pillow case traditionally.
Drop into the simmer.
Dad always had Mom make a double batch.

For a "quick fix" try floured tortias. They take the sweat out of making a pot of chicken and dumplins'. Boil your chicken down, seperate the meat from the bones, add the cut up tortias. When the dumplins are soft add can one of creme of chicken soup. I don't have a real recipee. I just always sort of winged it. I first hard about it in Texas. This was one of the quick dishes that we used to prepare at the end of a tour (shift) back when I was in the oil patch.

Okay, you asked for it.... thank goodness for cut and paste. :biggrin1: This is one variety of dumpling that that Mrs ~t~ makes, and are called noodles.... the other ones are called dumplings and the batter is mixed up and spooned into the broth.... I have that recipe too.

Old Fashioned Chicken And Noodles

DSC07092aa1.jpg

This is a great main dish, real comfort food. The recipe was never really written down, so one evening I followed Mrs ~t~ and recorded her recipe and technique for you to enjoy here.

FOR THE CHICKEN & STOCK - Using a Whole Chicken or Chicken Pieces

A whole chicken can be cooked two ways. You can use a stock pot, or a pressure cooker. Chicken pieces cook so fast in a stock pot I don't recommend using a pressure cooker on them. The cooking methods below involve letting the meat rest in hot broth, so its okay if the meat is slightly underdone before sitting in the hot broth. The "rest finish" will complete the cooking and also helps keep the meat moist and tender.

Stock Pot - Whole Chicken: Add 2 cans of chicken broth, 1 can full of water, 1 tablespoon of chicken soup base, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 2 bay leaves. Add the bird, then adjust the water level as needed so the bird is mostly covered. Cook at a simmer or low boil until the meat is just tender. Remove the pot from the burner and allow the chicken to rest in the hot broth for 20 or 30 minutes. Remove the meat from the bones and shred, reserve for later. The bones can be returned to the stock and simmered an hour.

Stock Pot - Chicken Pieces: If you prefer to use chicken pieces, they are actually easier to prepare. Start with some boneless chicken breasts and a couple of boneless thighs if you like. Sprinkle them with kosher salt, refrigerate for 2 hours. Using 2 cans of chicken broth and 1 can of water, bring the liquid up to a simmer. Add your boneless chicken and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes only. Remove the pot from the burner, cover and allow the chicken to rest in the hot broth for about 30 minutes. (this is a great way to prepare chicken for chicken salad)

If you want to use bone in split breasts the simmer time is about 8 minutes. For chicken quarters, full breasts, or chicken halves, the simmer time is 10 to 12 minutes. In all cases, cover and allow the meat to rest in the hot broth for 30 minutes.

Pressure Cooked - Whole Chicken: Add Add 2 cans of chicken broth, 1 can full of water, 1 tablespoon of chicken soup base, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 2 bay leaves. Process the bird for 25 minutes (35 minutes if you use a stewing chicken) and use a natural release. Remove the meat from the bones and shred, reserve for later. Discard the bones as the pressure cooked broth will be nice and rich.

DSC07081a.jpg

PREPARE THE MEAT & BROTH

Remove the chicken and discard any bones and skin, allow to cool enough to handle, then shred the meat and set aside. Strain the broth and reserve.

FOR THE NOODLES

This amount of noodles makes 6 to 8 servings and will only require about 1/2 of the chicken.

3 cups of flour
3 eggs
1 tablespoon of salt
1/3 cup of milk (you may not need all of this)

Mix the salt into the flour, add the eggs and begin to mix together. Add some milk and continue to mix until the dough comes together. Knead until smooth and let it rest about 10 minutes. Knead again for about 3 minutes and rest a second time for 5 minutes. Roll out the dough and let rest about 15 or 20 minutes. Cut to size, then dust with flour.

DSC07079a.jpg

DSC07083a.jpg

DSC07084a.jpg

FOR THE CHICKEN AND NOODLES

Heat the stock to a low boil, add the noodles and cook for 5 minutes. Add some chicken until the amount looks right (you will not use all the shredded chicken), lower the heat and cover for 15 minutes. Return to a boil and serve. They can simmer a few minutes if the noodles are not tender.

Serve with boiled potatoes.

DSC07090a.jpg

Get yourself a pkg of Mission Flour Tortillas cut them to what eve size you like and drop into the pot of boiling stock. Just like Cracked Barrel.

Thanks! That is great info, I have all of it saved.

Can you post the Dumpling one too?

Sure, here are the Spoon Dumplings (these are actually easier to make than the flat noodle dumplings) You can use beef broth or chicken broth depending on what kind of soup you are making.

1-12-13003aa.jpg

2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of salt
2 eggs
Water – up to 5 tablespoons (or maybe more) added 1 tablespoon at a time
Big 3 tine fork for mixing
Teaspoon for making dumplings – (not the measuring kind of teaspoon, the one you use at the table)
2 quarts of broth (chicken or beef)

In a mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt and mix. Crack the eggs into the flour/salt mixture and work together with the fork. This will be dry and crumbly.

Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing with the fork, until dough begins to thicken. It needs to be just a little bit firmer than biscuit dough. Set dough aside.

In a stock pot, bring broth to a rolling boil. Dip the spoon into the broth for 20 seconds to get it warm. Scoop up 1/2 of a teaspoon of dough and dip the spoonful of dough into the broth, allowing the dumpling to release on it’s own. The spoon will now be hot, so repeat the process using all of the dough. Boil the dumplings for 4 or 5 minutes (make sure it does not boil over), then remove from heat, cover and let them sit for 10 minutes or so.

Return your meat to the stock pot and you are good to go.

I hesitate to release this information because it is from my Mom. She makes cicken & dumplins that are always fought over at church dinners and family reunions. The funny thing is that the dough is simpler than any other recipe that I have ever seen.

The dough is a simple mixture of canned Cream of Chicken soup and enough self rising flour to make a sticky but workable dough. Thats it. I am very familiar with the texture that you describe, and trust me. This will accomplish that with a ton of awesome flavor to boot. Two cups of flour per can is what I always start with. If it needs more I add it.

I promise you will not regret this if you try it.

Back