• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

selection and use of mesquite

K

kcquer

I don't trust the plastic bags of wood chunks that come from discount and grocery stores. I have a source for mesquite splits. What would I look for to be sure it's not crappy wood that should have been thrown away.

I've read from even some fans of mesquite that the only way to use it properly is to burn it down completely and only put the coals in the firebox. Is this how all mesquite users do it or do you burn it in a more conventional manner?

My previous experiences with mesquite have not been all that positive. I'd like to give it a fair chance armed with quality wood and advice from the Brethren on its proper use.

Yep. Burn to coals -- unless you like creosote flavored food. Oh yeah, dry/seasoned wood is best (duh!), splits are definately a good thing, and starting mesquite is a trip -- it's like starting a fire with cement! I'd recommend a charcoal bed, then fire off your mesquite and burn it down.

However, that's my opinion, your mileage may vary! :D

you just wait until you get your PM...I can't believe a MOFO using mesquite, it's bad enough you can cook a brisket as good as a Texan, but now you want to use their wood? Next thing you'll be shoutin' "Hook 'Em Horns!"

Hornbri..

Stop by cattle call and introduce yourself!!! :)
Where ya been dude?

I'll only use mesquite with beef. that being said...

As long as the mesquite is dry and seasoned i will add it to a hot fire. If i can't get logs, I use the bagged chunks, but even logs i will cut and split in 6 inch chunks. Stuffs like cutting granite. Will only preburn them if I dont have a good coalbed to ensure they ignite right away. But the chunks will usually light pretty fast as long as I preheat. I will allow a little bit of white smoke to happen, never enuf to make creosote though... if it gets to heavy I open the chambers till things light.

Back