Woke this morning wanting pork. Butt or Ham?

Leeper

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Not sure what is causing my craving this morning but I am in need of a good pork fix today.

I just pulled an 8 pound butt out of the freezer and have it defrosting in the sink. I plan on raiding the spice cabinet for some rub and mixing in bit of whatever sauce I have open in the fridge once pulled later this evening.

Here is my big question -

A couple days before turkey day I traded my pork guy for half a ham and it has been hiding in my fridge since then. It should probably be cooked up but there is no way I am going to be able to consume the pulled pork and a 10lb ham in the next couple days. Can I cook the ham, slice it up and vaccumbag freeze the meet for later? I have never really done anything with a ham and had planned on trying out that Mr. Chicken deal but never tracked down all the ingredients.

So to sum things up -
· I am going to cook both a butt and a ham today
· Thoughts on freezing sliced ham portions?
· Thoughts on how I should prepare the ham?
· How does one explain to their wife they just woke up today and wanted to spend it entirely surrounded by pork?

Thanks.

I freeze portions of everything I cook in vacubags.
I've on done the doudle smoked hams.
And the wife is use to me cooking ubsurd amounts of food all day for 2 people.:biggrin:

I've frozen cooked ham lots of times before with no problems. The meat might have a little different texture after thawing, I've had some that we just like when I finished cooking them, and some that had a little different texture. Not bad, just different. Cook and freeze away. I'm sure others will chime in soon with their opinions.

Chris

I vacpack all my smoked meats and use it for lunches all the time it will be fine. Just grab it and let it thaw and your good to go.

Back