• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket and your Rub (For the Funky Only)

I asked for the same thing last year.....here it is. Oh yeah, I added the Frank Sinatra. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

The Legends

Salt George Clinton
Sugar Little Richard
Brown Sugar James Brown
Garlic (Specify Powder or Minced) Prince
Onion (Specify Powder or Minced) Rick James
Black Pepper Larry Graham
Red Pepper or Cayenne Bootsy Collins
Paprika Tina Turner
Bell Pepper Archie Bell
Sam Cooke Large Grained “Smokin Stuff”
Honey Taste of Honey
Corn Syrup (Dark only – there is no light) Jackie Wilson
Mustard (Specify Powder or Prepared) Fred Wesley
Worcestershire Sauce Sir Duke
Bacon B. B. King
Ketchup Sly Stone
Chili Powder Carlos Santana
Lemon Juice Chubby Checker
Mayonnaise Michael Jackson
Apple Cider Vinegar Aretha Franklin
Ginger Teena Marie
Butter George Benson
Peach Francine Barker
Richard Pryor Coke

That nearly made me lose a mouthful of mornin' joe:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:. John

Richard Pryor is in my Beale Street Red and Wett at 1:13 into it. You will notice at first I say water - Billy Ocean... but these days I just add straight Richard Pryor... although now that I am in Texas, and it is red and wett sauce... I add something just from this area called..... Big Red.... just havn't come up with a Funk Figure for it.

OK I have been redading this threadand decided to visit my butcher an hour ago. As expected he only had one small rolled and frozen brisket so I snapped it up for ten snaps bones with some beef ribs. I'm going to let it thaw, unroll it and see if I can take some of your advice and make it hump a bit.

OK I have been redading this threadand decided to visit my butcher an hour ago. As expected he only had one small rolled and frozen brisket so I snapped it up for ten snaps bones with some beef ribs. I'm going to let it thaw, unroll it and see if I can take some of your advice and make it hump a bit.
You're going to hump a cold rolled brisket?:confused::shock::eek:

I've been following this thread and decided to do a brisket today. Picked up a 13 pound angus brisky from Restaurant Depot yesterday and gave it a three layer rub. Put it in the pit at 8 this morning. It's 12:30m now and I haven't peeked at it, but it smells farking fantastic. We'll see...

THIS guy knows the funk! Remember you can't capture the boogie unless you attack from the back.

You understand the funk man!!! Yo but how can you capture the boogie unless you attack from the back!

Aluminum Foil Alzheimer's Mod

Hittin` it two times has always been good to me baby now it time to elevate to the three bounce boogie.

magicdick2.jpg

Okay, that's it. I'm going for the big hair. I doubt I can pull off the Sly Stone look, but maybe Whammer Jammer. :biggrin: Last time I saw MD was in St. Louis in '92, maybe he's grey now.....​

magicdick.jpg

Last edited:
Richard Pryor is in my Beale Street Red and Wett at 1:13 into it. You will notice at first I say water - Billy Ocean... but these days I just add straight Richard Pryor... although now that I am in Texas, and it is red and wett sauce... I add something just from this area called..... Big Red.... just havn't come up with a Funk Figure for it.

I just finished a Big Red. Got em in Cali. Nothing like a red soda water w/bbq!

How about Millie Jackson for Big Red? Kinda harsh and hard to swallow until you get used to it.

img_5.jpg

I just finished a Big Red. Got em in Cali. Nothing like a red soda water w/bbq!

How about Millie Jackson for Big Red? Kinda harsh and hard to swallow until you get used to it.

Heheee. Soda water, that's what we called all of 'em when I was a little boy in Texas. Big Red, RC, Dr. Pepper, all the Fanta drinks, Cream Soda and an orange one called Nesbitts.

Later on, everybody called everything a Coke, as in "Y'all want a Coke"....."Yeah"...."What kind?"

just to throw in a status report..

one brisket this week to return to the simple basics.

Layer of kosher salt.
thin layers each of garlic, onion, celery salt.
Layer of black pepper.
no sauce, no injections, and a great brisket that tasted like brisket, not candy.

Layer of kosher salt.
Layer of black pepper.
no sauce, no injections, and a great brisket that tasted like brisket, not candy.

Curious. Would you turn in that brisket for a competition?

that was the topic at tonights dinner. I was pressing the issue as to how this would do in comps. My wife being the harshest critic, has been 100% accurate when she chooses which entry to turn. She gave it a 9,9. In the past 2 years EVERY time she said "USE THAT ONE", it has won. We did not rate appearance. keep in mind, it was also a reheat.

So to answer your quetions.. absolutly.. But i dont think the intent of this thred is to produce competition quality.. What I took out of this thread, is that sometimes basics is better and after years of tweaking, I have been overthinking/overestimating my product.

that being said, IMO, It WAS a competition quality brisket flavor wise. My son gave it an 8, my wife and daughter two 9's. I would go with 8 in taste and 9 in T&T. But i did NOT dress it and I think a minute in the au-jus, or some contest TLC, would give it the enhancment it needed for me to go to a 9. Last night, while eating it at 3AM, and unable to stop, i think it would have been perfect.

it was 3AM though. :)

Layer of kosher salt.
Layer of black pepper.

DSC06608JPGathrowdown.jpg

Do me a favor will you? The next time you have dogs (beef dogs), and they can be on the pit or just pan fried ones, mix up equal parts of garlic powder, onion powder and celery salt. Add a few pinches to the dogs as they cook.....Then let me know what you think.​

I have ranted, bitched and moaned about how I felt brisket had gotten away from itself in competitions as more and more competitions started. I have receive some conmsternation due to my style and methods of getting it across.

Well I will say this.... this simple style.... this old school style that was a throw back to the days when only texans did briskets in competitions (or the neighboring states) well....

NO I HAVE TO GET FUNKY AGAIN...

I told Bigmista this once a while ago. Its 1982 and the Funky Sound was high in Hornz... you know... seawind horns with Micheal Jackson and the Off the Wall Album, Earth Wind and Fire, all them cats... along comes PRINCE... all the sounds of hornz are replaced by SYNTHS.... he made that sound and Jimmy Jam, Terry Lewis, Janet Jackson all copied that sound....People ate 1999 Album era up. When he was recording When Doves Cry Agents of Warner Brother's said... you got to have a strong bassline in Black Radio. He NIXED the bass in the entire song......... BAMN Platinum!

Then when that got tired he switched to live hornz.... Sexy MF, Willing and Able, Samples even in Gett Off were hornz.

fast forward... today... all we get is prepackaged pop of people that can't even sang and hip hop with a techno sound (stealing from Prince's old licks)

Along comes Prince with a new Band, Horns and all, once again as funky but short of synths. 2004 he had the biggest grossing tour that year, even beat out Madona at around 95 million. In 2008 he played 21 Nights in London's O2 Arena, selling out 20,000 tickets each night in the same damn town. Best selling tour with NO RADIO HITS making the entire Recording Industry Irrelevant in one full swoop.

And if you think my logic only applies to the funk... what do you think Garth Brooks is gonna do when he is good and ready?

So... back to BBQ. Judges do get tired of tasting the same thing over and over, EVEN IF ITS PERFECT LOLOLOLOL, but now that so much about the brisket has been OVERTWEAKED for them.... the old basic Funk, that James Brown Vibe, Ray Charles, Jackie Wilson will seem like its pushing the envelope.

that was the topic at tonights dinner. I was pressing the issue as to how this would do in comps. My wife being the harshest critic, has been 100% accurate when she chooses which entry to turn. She gave it a 9,9. In the past 2 years EVERY time she said "USE THAT ONE", it has won. We did not rate appearance. keep in mind, it was also a reheat.

So to answer your quetions.. absolutly.. But i dont think the intent of this thred is to produce competition quality.. What I took out of this thread, is that sometimes basics is better and after years of tweaking, I have been overthinking/overestimating my product.

that being said, IMO, It WAS a competition quality brisket flavor wise. My son gave it an 8, my wife and daughter two 9's. I would go with 8 in taste and 9 in T&T. But i did NOT dress it and I think a minute in the au-jus, or some contest TLC, would give it the enhancment it needed for me to go to a 9. Last night, while eating it at 3AM, and unable to stop, i think it would have been perfect. It was 3AM though. :)

Back