Grilling Lobster Tail

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm gonna try to grill some lobster tail on a weber kettle. Any advice?

Eric

PM Ricks tropical Delight.
9nov06-024.jpg

I notice it's not split and has a metal skewer running thru it...need some details on this method.

I assume the skewer is to keep the tail from curling back up when it is cooked?

Looks nice!

I like to split the lobster tail lengthwise. Two level fire on the kettle... grill meat down for a few moments, then flip shell down and move to cooler side of the grill. Baste with garlic butter and the lobster is done when the meat starts to pull away from the shell.

I like to split the lobster tail lengthwise. Two level fire on the kettle... grill meat down for a few moments, then flip shell down and move to cooler side of the grill. Baste with garlic butter and the lobster is done when the meat starts to pull away from the shell.

And with a little Harpoon Summer Ale that would be chefs choice at Harpoon!:cool:

IF one were to split the tail - this is exactly how I would cook lobster.

However - just like with shrimp - I prefer to keep the shell on. In my opinion - it helps to retain moisture and protect the delicate meat from the heat of the grill.

I prefer splitting the bottom of the tail and adding basil butter... or doing whole lobsters on the grill...

lobstergrill2.jpg

2455231455_bb0c39a1b4.jpg

Grilling can dry out the lobster... Start it shell side up for just 3 minutes or so, then shell side down until it's cooked, maybe 4-5 minutes.

Whole lobsters or tails? If I'm doing whole fresh lobsters I slice 'em in half and run a scewer through the tail (prevent curling). Coat with a little evoo and grill them meat side down for about 3 minutes on a 400 degree grill. If I'm doing tails I remove the membrane from the tail with kitchen shears and follow the same procedure. Good luck...enjoy! :p

Split the whole lobsters or tails. Melt some butter with a tiny bit of garlic and tarragon (dry or fresh). Light S&P and spritz of EVOO on the meat and grill meat side down on hot area.

Roll over after 2-3 min when starting to get browned and move to less hot side of grill and baste with garlic tarragon butter and let it poach in the butter for another couple of minutes. Enjoy!

I got pretty good results last week grilling a whole lobster for my wife's bday. I steamed it first for about 10 minutes and then finished it off over a medium grill (I found out that's how they do them at Smith & Wollensky's, except the broiler there is like 1000*F). I also did lamb chops and corn on the cob with the husk on, and a bread bowl with melted brie cheese on the inside wrapped in foil. If I had only known about pron then...

IF one were to split the tail - this is exactly how I would cook lobster.

However - just like with shrimp - I prefer to keep the shell on. In my opinion - it helps to retain moisture and protect the delicate meat from the heat of the grill.

Yes, the method I suggested above you keep the shell on.

don't overcook lobster aint cheap. I love bbq lobster, The method I have had was boil first then sear on the grill. of course I could be wrong:-D

Hey ! thats the same way I do ribs..heheheh

Dang those lobsters look good. I may have to try one this weekend.

Back