starting out, equipment

LI Pig Congress

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
looking for a smoker to grow with. ive been getting by with my weber gas grill and its time to step up. been lurking around craigs list/ ebay, havent found any thing yett. I Need an assassin smoker, for the money it seems to be the best bang for the buck. How ever if the wife finds out i spent $3000 on a grill she nuder me! can any one point me in a good direction. the reason i want a vertical is they are almost set and forget and i have extremely limited time and cant be watching my smoker all day. also wheres a good place to get meat whole sale on Long Island. Just started going to Restaurant depot, but think i can get better quality.

Build a UDS....

Or

Did you look at the Humphrey's Line of smokers?

They are made in Maine and one of the salesmen lives north of NYC..

Contact Brethren User "Smokinit"

Humphrey's Price List

Last edited:
5 qt. stainless colander , steel pizza tray , 4 dowel rods , small 5 dollar fan , knockoff Weber cooking grate and a cardboard box. Shouldn't be more than 20 bucks set up and ready to go.

Assassin is a pretty big jump into the deep end.

You really can't go wrong with either size WSM. A UDS is great, but sometimes I think it's not a great 'first' smoker only because you can learn so much from other smokers it will change how you actually end up building it! But then... you get to build another UDS so that's kind of an added bonus!

Just stay away from anything that 'feels' cheap, because it probably is. If you follow that no matter what you buy the fine folks here will be able to help you figure out whatever you get and turn out some amazing q.

For what it's worth, here's my journey into smoking.

I read somewhere that the BGE was the best steak griller on the market, so I started with a BGE mini to grill steaks at high heat. I realized the BGE (Big Green Egg) mini was VERY limited and terrible at cooking anything but steaks for the most part. So, I got a medium BGE to be able to cook chicken and ribs. I still never liked the way the BGE cooked chicken because the coals are too close, even with a diffuser I always found the chicken to have a burned oil taste. I tried all different methods for chicken, but it was always dicey. Ribs came out ok, but after owning 2 BGE's, I'm just not a fan - especially when you consider the price.

So, I sold my 2 BGE's and still believing in a Kamado style cooker, I got a char-griller Akorn. I immediately found the Akorn to be superior to the BGE, both in price and because it could cook some really good chicken and ribs. I used the Akorn a lot for about year or two. During that time I wanted to get a smoker that I could "set and forget" and not knowing any better, I bought a Masterbuilt Propane Smoker off of CL for $50. It was terrible and I turned around and sold that for $75 - at least I made $25.

From there, I discovered this website and decided to build a UDS. I built a UDS (you can search for my posts and you'll see it) and it was awesome - life changing. My cost to build was about $125. During my UDS period, I also discovered Traeger pellet grills - also life changing, but different from the UDS. I found both a Jr. and Lil Tex on CL for a fraction of the cost of a new units.

My smoking hobby now had become a full blown illness / addiction. I then built a mini-wsm. It soon became clear to me that my trusty Akorn was now my 3rd string smoker. I recently sold it because it just sat there unused.

I now have 2 Traegers, a UDS, and a mini-wsm. I also have an old Weber Gasser, which I mainly use for the shelves. I also recently picked up a gas Patio Bistro infrared off of CL cheap just as a toy to play with. I'm not sure the Patio Bistro is gonna stay with the team at this point.

Anyways, that's my story. I hope it helps you along your journey.

My first smoker was a UDS, made it the kiss method and I'm still using it. Three intakes with magnets, 2 cooking racks and 1 rack if I want a defusser or drip pan. Used a weber lid so I have more room at the top if needed. It's easy and cheap to build one this way and it works great!!!

If you are after true set it and forget it cooking then a pellet grill is the way to go. I have Big Green Eggs and other cookers but even my wife is OK with dialing in a temp to smoke the meat. I have a MAK which is a little over a grand but well worth it. I would stay away from the currently manufactured Traeger's as they are not mfg'd in this country, etc. I started with a vertical and moved away from it due to the complete loss of heat when you open the door(no insulation on the cheap ones).

Sounds like you have two issues: 1.) cost 2.) wanting the "set it and forget it."

As far as being cheap is concerned: a UDS is cheap and make great cue. It has the ABILITY to ALMOST be set it and forget it. You'll have to spend some time with one to really get a feel for doing the minion method with charcoal basket.

As far as set it and forget it: a pellet smoker. I've had the opportunity to cook a few times on these dudes.... It's literally set it and forget it. A few around $1000 are Rec Tec and a Yoder480.

I started off with an 18" WSM. Loved it and then got the 22.5". It was nice but temps were harder to control here in Colorado. I then got an XL Big Green Egg and couldn't be happier because it acts as both a low temp smoker or a high heat grill. Everything from pork butts to steaks to chicken to ribs and pizza come out great. I did the Roadside chicken over the weekend that was unbelievably moist. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with a BGE or a quality knock off like a Kamado Joe.

UDS. Best bang for the buck that there is! Traditional pit style flavor. I love'em.

I'll save you time and money...So, you will only have to do this once...Get a BigJoe...

Your welcome... :thumb:

Moderator: You can lock this thread...the issue has been resolved..no need to go any further...

Back