• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

pecan wood

Gasket

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I just received a bunch of pecan wood. I know it's in the Hickory family and heard that it tastes similar. I've read in some of my books that pecan has a milder flavor than Hickory, but now i'm getting conflicting information saying that Pecan is much stronger than Hickory and that I run the risk of over smoking if using even small amounts of it. So, I ask the Brethren what's the verdict on pecan wood?

I have some in my UDS right now, along with charcoal and some Hickory MOJO bricks. I'll give you a verdict in a few hours. :-D

Actually used it before and I'm a big fan of it.

In Aaron Franklin's latest video, he says pecan is stronger flavored than hickory, but everything else I've read points to pecan being hickory lite.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucUy1k86GdA&feature=em-unknown&list=TLgvEvyTFDijY"]BBQ with Franklin: The Wood - YouTube[/ame]

I agree with everything you've heard. Working through a cord of hickory I bought. It seems to work fine on my big cooker, but the stronger smoke flavor needs some tempering on my small offset. Pecan doesn't have the same bite but seems easier for me to work with.

Some great advice I once received: throw an unseasoned chicken breast on the smoker with each different kind of wood. It's a sure way to form your own opinion on wood favors.

Having used a fair amount of both hickory and pecan, i think pecan is milder. However, i just used some chunks with lump charcoal (usually Ozark Oak) in the BGE (and cook my brisket hot & fast) so it's not like i'm doing a long all wood smoke.

I've always thought of pecan as lighter smoke than hickory, but I also tend to use them for different things. I like pecan's flavor on chicken, so I tend to use it more sparingly given poultry can really soak up smoke quickly. Hickor is what I usually go to for beef, so I'm not afraid of putting more on the fire. So my usage may b coloring my impression.

There is no such thing as over-smoking.
There IS such a thing as not burning a clean fire and covering your food in creosote.
I burn wood 24-7. I cook briskets 15 hrs over Hickory. Not oversmoked.
Pecan is similiar in flavor but an even sweeter smell. :)

I use a lot of pecan. It seems to go well with every kind of meat. It has a pretty strong smell when burning, and I agree it is a somewhat sweet smelling smoke. I don't recall ever having a bad experience with it.

CD

Pecan is my favorite wood for pork. The smell of pecan smoke makes my mouth water, love it.

I use a lot of pecan. It seems to go well with every kind of meat. It has a pretty strong smell when burning, and I agree it is a somewhat sweet smelling smoke. I don't recall ever having a bad experience with it.

CD

I agee 100%. I use pecon almost exclusively and never feel the smoke is too heavy or intense.

I use 100% pecan. Try it on a small test cook, you'll like it.

Pecan is definitely lighter than hickory. Do try the unseasoned chicken breast test. I use mesquite for beef and pecan for pork and chicken with great results.

Pecan makes the whole neighborhood happy. The aroma coming off the cooker along with the mild nutty/sweet flavor imparted on the food is one of a kind. Nothing better IMO.

Well maybe apple and cherry.

He's wrong.

Wow. :shocked:

Everything I know or read about different woods for smoking also make me think the same. Aaron"s the goto guy right now so I figured I'd try to learn as much as I can from him, but his comment threw me for a loop. I thank everybody for their insight. Keep the comments coming in, I'll check back in tomorrow when I get home from work in the morning. Have a great day everyone!

Back