Bubba keg semi-score

Trumpstylz

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I recently acquired this bubba keg from a friend. I paid a little too much- a kettle I paid 50$ for and an additional 100$. But, now I am part of the kamado club. The inside especially needs some work. I think its missing the second grill level grate, but it did come with a nice cover in decent condition, the side arm/tables, and the trailer hitch setup is new in the box, although I don't know if I'll ever use it. Oh, and it weighs a lot more than I expected.

Does anyone know what the best thing to put below the grate when smoking- is there a platesetter or something?

Attachments

• DSCN4449[1].jpg
    DSCN4449[1].jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 160
  • DSCN4450[1].jpg
    DSCN4450[1].jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 157
  • DSCN4452[2].jpg
    DSCN4452[2].jpg
    126 KB · Views: 159
  • DSCN4458[1].jpg
    DSCN4458[1].jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 159
  • DSCN4457[1].jpg
    DSCN4457[1].jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 161
I've never seen that color before. The body looks to be in great shape. You may want to get new grates.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if I'd be able to still buy the new grates or not.

I asked him about the color and why all the ones I'd seen online were gray. He said that he got it from his brother and wasn't sure, maybe it faded in from the sunlight (but I'm pretty sure he's kept it covered whenever he wasn't using it, so that wouldn't really make sense). If someone did repaint it, they did a really good job of it.

That has been repainted. A lot of guys use automotive engine paint to repaint them. Odds are that is what was done. You should be able to order some new grates from Onward Manufacturing Company (OMC). They own the Broil King Keg line now - which is the latest version of the Bubba Keg.

That's definitely a new paint job! You can call OMC hq and order new grates. They also sell a diffuser kit for the kegs. You can also do what the Akorn guys do and put a charcoal grate under the main grate and set a pizza stone or clay saucer on it.

Just FYI the orginal kegs had "defective" paint and get ugly fast.

Gotcha. Yeah, I wasn't too enthusiastic about the color. His brother should have just repainted it the original color. To each his own.

I think you got a great deal. The cooker looks great and the color is pretty sweet. I would pay that for it all day long.

Tell you what - have an actual diffuser for the Bubba Keg.
Send me your address via PM and will send it your way just to cover the shipping cost.

[No longer have the Keg - had an unfortunate accident... was attached to my trailer hitch and was lost by a rear-ended fender bender.].

I don't think you overpaid. Great score, a little bit of elbow grease and a few replacement parts and you'll have a mean machine for about 230! Very cool!

P.S. - not crazy about the paint job either, but meh - who really cares?

The origanal paint job does not hold up to harsh of cleaning really so a lot of time its painted. Grates come togeather still. You can get there diffuser
or a big green egg or like some of us do run a cordite stone with some stainless steel straps.

I'd jump at the chance to get another one... daughter would love the color of that one too!! congrats.

I use my plate setter from my large BGE. Fits inside just fine.
You got a heck of a deal on that rig by the way.

Back