Kalbi on the hibachi...

caliking

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
In my never ending quest to find meaty beef ribs, I picked these up from a Korean grocery store.
IMAG1295_zps064e1641.jpg

I had intended to do them lo n slo, or braise them, or something, but the wife put in a request for kalbi. I don't know why, because I've never made that before, and it wasn't one of the options I offered. Go figure. A friend gave me Steve Raichlen's Planet Barbecue! for christmas, so I looked and found a recipe for kalbi.

Ingredients: Pear, ginger, garlic, green chilies (coz I like 'em), sugar, salt, toasted sesame seeds, sesame oil, pepper. No soy sauce in this recipe.
IMAG1291_zps9aa69e20.jpg

Pureed it all together.
IMAG1292_zps8fd69f1e.jpg

IMAG1294_zps929a09aa.jpg

Butterflied the short ribs. They were really meaty, so I will definitely go back and get some more.
IMAG1296_zps90f4ac63.jpg

And left it to marinate for 3-4 hours.
IMAG1299_zpsc926f003.jpg

Fired up the hibachi and laid em on. I am really liking the compact Weber chimney BTW. Enough charcoal for one cook, easy to store, and sits nicely on the hibachi.

IMAG1301_zps822bc09a.jpg

Since this was an impromptu cook, I didn't have the right banchan on hand. The plate has some squid salad, seaweed salad, fish cake, grilled scallions, grilled garlic, and grilled radish. All wrapped up in Nappa cabbage leaves.
IMAG1305_zps34fb56fd.jpg

It tasted very good with a stripe of sriracha. I just suck at butterflying though and so the beef was not thin like the kalbi at restaurants. Oh well, I tried.

Thanks for looking.

That looks great, I love kalbi done right.

I don't worry about butterflying them thin, I butterfly them thicker, and then whack them thin with a meat mallet. :oops:

That looks great, I love kalbi done right.

I don't worry about butterflying them thin, I butterfly them thicker, and then whack them thin with a meat mallet. :oops:

Thought about the meat pounder after the fact, but didn't know if that would work. Thanks for the tip!

Love it!
I do kalbi often too on the hibachi. My local Thai meat market I go to slices them thin.

Very nicely done! Short ribs are awesome, and that definitely looks to be worth trying.

I'm loving my compact Weber chimney too. :thumb:

that looks great to me. i'm used to the thin english cut ones as those are popular in hawaii. the first time i ever saw them cut this way was on kimchi chronicles and i have vowed to do them that way next time.

Traditionally they should be cut the other way, like this:

images

Slicing it this way affect the taste since you are cutting against the grain. Either way your ribs looks delicious, ill take a double order!

Toronto, I have to disagree, the flanken cut is traditional to some areas. But, my friends here, all the Korean ones, prefer the butterflied ones, and they say it is traditional to the areas they are from. They also get pissy if you remove the bone by accident.

I personally havent seen it served any other way but ill take your word for it. Styles do vary by region and what you are saying doesnt seem far fetched. I do prefer cutting meat against the grain and find it does affect the taste especially on a cut that can be quite chewy.

the way caliking shows it seems to be the korean traditional way.
the way toronto shows is the one i'm familiar with.
can't go wrong either way.

Very nicely done! Short ribs are awesome, and that definitely looks to be worth trying.

I'm loving my compact Weber chimney too. :thumb:

The little chimney is very handy. Fits neatly on my homebrewed BGE cart too.

the way caliking shows it seems to be the korean traditional way.
the way toronto shows is the one i'm familiar with.
can't go wrong either way.

I've had it cut both ways, but am not enough of a connoisseur to appreciate the difference. I do know that I like em both!

I missed the caramelized taste of the soy and sugar that I've had before, but the taste of these non-soy ones was kinda clean and nice in its own way.

Traditionally they should be cut the other way, like this:

images

Slicing it this way affect the taste since you are cutting against the grain. Either way your ribs looks delicious, ill take a double order!

I agree, BUT really think it's a regional thing. In 30+ years I've never experienced the thicker cut short ribs in Hawaii, always the thinner, #2 pencil thickness cuts.

But hey, that doesn't mean they're not farking awesome when cooked thicker.

Nice work, I think they look damn good Caliking.

Back