View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 09:46 AM   #1
daedalus
Full Fledged Farker

Default I get to play chef in New Mexico

In a couple of weeks I will be going on a 10 day trip to New Mexico(Folsom specifically) to help my step-nephew-in-law with an elk hunt he is guiding. I am super excited about it. I am not much of a hunter, but I get to go and hang out at the ranch all day drive the 4-wheeler all around the ginormous property while everyone else goes a killin'. Basically the deal is that I get free room and board and travel expenses as long as I help out where needed. Mostly that is going to involve handling the cooking. This is where I need some help from you guys.

There will be 4 hunters, my nephew and myself. These guys paid a grand each for the hunt, and I want to make sure the food is hearty and good. I have never really cooked for "paying customers" before, so I would love any advice you all can provide.

Currently, I plan to make Deer chile, a fish fry(fresh caught hopefully), some steaks(deer most likely, but possibly elk) on the grill. I will be making a large batch of potato salad, slaw, and bbq beans to sort of eat throughout the week. I will be making some fatties for breakfasts or lunches, and also will be taking a few lbs of pulled pork. From what I understand the lodge has a normal residential kitchen with propane stove and a regular refrigerator. My nephew says it is stocked, but I plan to take some of my kitchen gear anyway...knives, cast iron skillet, dutch over, etc. I will also take my WMS and my Kettle.

As I mentioned before, this is the first time I have done this sort of thing, so I may be overlooking some important issues. I would like to get any opinions on anything from what I should take with me, to thoughts on my menu plan. I don't think I quite have enough food planned, so I would also appreciate any ideas as to what else might work well as far as dinners. Please feel free to ask any questions too...I may not have thought about whatever your question is.

Dark Horse BBQ Competition Team
KCBS Master CBJ
Certified Moink Baller

Good One "Open Range" Smoker, WMS (Cirqa 1983), Rescued NB offset, Modified ECB, No-name Charcoal Grill, Perfect Flame Gasser, Weber 22.5" One Touch Silver
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote