Feeding 300 mostly men

HBMTN

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Gonna be cooking for a friend and feeding 300 people. I would say that about 250 of them will be men. It will be at his business on a work day at lunch time. I can do 5 briskets, 12 butts, and 95 chicken quarters and that will max out my pit. Does that sound about right for this crowd? I should also add they are 13lb packer briskets and 8lb average butts.

Also he is doing the sides and I was figuring about 10oz of sides per person is this high or low?

Thanks everyone!

Depending on the sides, 6 oz. should be sufficent.

Your close on the pork serving a 1/4 lb per person but need double the brisket and not sure how your gonna make 95 chicken 1/4's feed 300 people?

He wants chicken, pork and brisket, sure many may not get chicken, or another meat. I could seperate the drumstick and thigh to give more people a choice for a piece of chicken. But do you think this amount of meat will feed them? If it comes down to just pork left to choose from that will be fine so long as there are not 40 people standing there with nothing to eat. What do you think?

He wants chicken, pork and brisket, sure many may not get chicken, or another meat. I could seperate the drumstick and thigh to give more people a choice for a piece of chicken. But do you think this amount of meat will feed them? If it comes down to just pork left to choose from that will be fine so long as there are not 40 people standing there with nothing to eat. What do you think?

I think i'd be worried about just that!

If its a freebie, do what your asked i guess but if its a job, then EVERYBODY gets all 3 meats, at least thats how we do it.

Try to explain to 100 people that they could'nt have brisket or chicken. :roll:

This is not a job, these are friend that own a large auto body shop. They paint my pits for free when ever I need it done. I cook for his 30 employees usually once per year. This time he thought about inviting a bunch of suppliers, insurance adjusters he deals with, the sherrifs dept, and pretty much anyone who he does business with or is friends with which is 200-300 people. I will explain to him the points you bring up and see if he feels it will be a problem if some only get chicken or pork.

The question put a different way, how many people do you think the meats and amount I have listed will feed?

Since chicken is relatively fast and best served off the grill, and pork butt and brisket can be held, you might consider doing some of the pork or brisket early and give yourself more grill space for the chicken at the last hour and a half. I think then you might be able to get the 250 to 300 chicken parts cooked in time, as well as offering the other meats.

The chicken will be cooked on my grill, not actually in my pit. The pit has two shelves. I can get 5 briskets on the top and 12 butts on the bottom.

It is awesome to do things for friends, but sometimes a job that has been done free for a friend will bite you on the backside.

Problem 1: Someone else is doing the side dishes. If the side dishes are not good, or if the side dishes run out, the people eating will be focusing on you as a caterer---you can get a bad reputation for something out of your control. A few years ago I cooked meat only for a friends wedding, and the side dishes were to be brought by other people---the side dishes ran out half way thru serving, and my wife overheard someone at her work talking about the "Horrible Caterer"---me. Side dishes are your friend---side dishes can make you money or save you money.

Problem 2:If you plan on serving 3 meats---have enough of each meat for each person. The people eating do not know or care if this is a "job" or a "freebie." All that they know is the person ahead of them in line got brisket and they did not--so there fore the cook is a no good jerk.

Chicken is not expensive--A single chicken will feed 8 people. I buy split chickens or whole fryers---depending on what is on sale---I cook half chickens and quarter them and then cut the thigh and leg apart and cut the breast into 2 pieces. A case of whole fryers is usually 14 chickens--so a case will provide 112 servings. Chicken prices vary, but a 1/8 chicken serving usually costs close to 45 cents.

Pork often sells for 99 cents a pound. Pulled Pork can be cooked ahead of time if you have a smaller smoker, and then reheated to serve. Pulled pork also has a gret " cost per serving'

If you could talk the owner into a 2 meat-"Pork and Chicken" gig--- you would both be happier .

Always protect your reputation.

Are you planning to drum up some business for yourself? If so, you now have the answers you need to the aforementioned:cool:

Not looking to drum up business, just want to make sure people who come have something to eat. People will most likely be coming and going for a couple of hours. He plans to invite 250-300 people so there will be many who may not even come. Does anyone have an idea how many people if mostly men that 5 briskets 13lbs, 12 butts 8lbs, and 90-100 chicken quartes will feed? Even if the last 30 men there only have one meat as an option. I understand everyones concerns and agrre with you in most cases. However most of the people coming we all know, and they know what I cook and have eaten it before. These are people who will be thankful for the effort. I just need an idea of what the meat above will feed before it runs out if anyone has an idea. I do like your advice and if I were doing this for a different crowd of people I did not know would do as you say.

Thanks everyone.

5 briskets at 13 pounds each = 120 to 130 people
12 butts at 8lbs of meat each = 190 people
100 chicken quarters = 120 people

I base my estimates on 1/2 lb of uncooked meat per person. 1/3lb per person would be more normal, but, it is a crowd of men and I think too much is better than too little. I still think you are light on the chicken and probably the pork.

Back