Thanks SHB!

I have some heavy duty casters, good to know they will be safe.

Thanks again!

No, I haven't bought any yet, but I'm considering an 85 Gal one for an XL UDS.

They DO look like they're galvanized, but I'm thinking with a good hi-temp paint outside and seasoning inside and normal smoking temps, it shouldn't be hot enough to out-gas anything.

At least, I would think that....

They do look a little thin, but no more flimsy than some of the cheapo wally world grills that some folks make their lids out of. For a cover, I'd think it'd work pretty well.

I got a email back from them about the lids they said they are 18 gauge galvanized steel so:tsk:

O and here are some pictures of my 2 pork shoulder butts I did this weekend, they took about 17 hours 12 were on the uds then the rest was done in the oven I apparently didn't have enough coals and I also did it at a friends house and left it with him over night so no telling what really happened hes my sous-chef. Later I found out that he doesn't follow directions very good by his roommate, he pulled one butt out of the oven at 175 and the other at 180 to rest in foil when I told him to pull them at 190- 200 They were still good he tells me himself he did this when Im pulling the pork my conclusion is if you want things done right do them yourself :twisted:
Now pics
2010-09-11%2016.02.46.jpg

2010-09-11%2016.02.54.jpg

2010-09-11%2016.04.30.jpg

2010-09-11%2016.05.02.jpg

2010-09-11%2017.07.26.jpg

2010-09-11%2017.40.48.jpg

Last edited:
I've made it through post 3800, and have a pretty good sketches of a simple UDS. One question that I didn't see the answer to, and is so generic that searching produced hundreds of non-responses:

I'm buying a new drum because my wife insists. I have lots of options here in Chicago. I plan on getting an open lid one and using the lid, but also have a 22.5" Master Forge donor grill from Lowes (looks like it might be the same Uniflame from Walmart). Is the the Lever Lock or Bolt Lock better or doesn't matter? Also, is there a difference between the "Salvage" drums and the regular drums? The last place I talked to said that they would sell 1, but want me to phone the order in so that they can have it ready - they weren't crazy about carrying around a lid to see if it would fit any of their drums.

Thanks

I've made it through post 3800, and have a pretty good sketches of a simple UDS. One question that I didn't see the answer to, and is so generic that searching produced hundreds of non-responses:

I'm buying a new drum because my wife insists. I have lots of options here in Chicago. I plan on getting an open lid one and using the lid, but also have a 22.5" Master Forge donor grill from Lowes (looks like it might be the same Uniflame from Walmart). Is the the Lever Lock or Bolt Lock better or doesn't matter? Also, is there a difference between the "Salvage" drums and the regular drums? The last place I talked to said that they would sell 1, but want me to phone the order in so that they can have it ready - they weren't crazy about carrying around a lid to see if it would fit any of their drums.

Thanks

Salvage drums are 85 gallons, and are (IIRC) about 24" in diameter. They're made to hold a 55-gallon drum inside of them.

Salvage drums are 85 gallons, and are (IIRC) about 24" in diameter. They're made to hold a 55-gallon drum inside of them.

I believe you are correct, BUT they also make Salvage drums in other sizes, including a 55 gal. Size does vary slightly from place to place. I'm looking at The Cary Company in Addison: http://www.thecarycompany.com/containers/steel_drums.html

Steel Salvage Drums & Overpack Drums: 33"H x 22.5"D , 60lbs
Open Head Steel Drums: 34.5" x 22.5", 48 lbs

Diameter is supposedly the same. The salvage drum is heavier, so it is probably a thicker gauge steel and better... but is better needed? probably not.

I guess I really only need to know if it a bolt lock or leaver lock is better.

I believe you are correct, BUT they also make Salvage drums in other sizes, including a 55 gal. Size does vary slightly from place to place. I'm looking at The Cary Company in Addison: http://www.thecarycompany.com/containers/steel_drums.html

Diameter is supposedly the same. The salvage drum is heavier, so it is probably a thicker gauge steel and better... but is better needed? probably not.

Lock does not matter if you have a good fit on the lid.The 3 i have got all had the bolt lock, but i don't use them. If you plan on using it, the lever lock would be easier to use.

It does not remove the zinc, it oxidides the surface. Why would you worry about zinc bolts in the lid anyway?

I don't know why people keep worrying about zinc in anything but a charcoal basket. Zinc oxide fumes are only released when you boil zinc, which happens at about 1650F. Below that temperature, zinc oxide only exists as a solid crust of material, and is non-hazardous. We worry about this, but not the carcinogenic properties of charred meat?

http://www.periodictable.com/ZincSafety.html

Here I go again... :deadhorse:

Lock does not matter if you have a good fit on the lid.The 3 i have got all had the bolt lock, but i don't use them. If you plan on using it, the lever lock would be easier to use.

Ahh... I agree. I didn't catch the meaning of the bolt vs. lever lock, and thought it had something to do with that grill.

I agree the lever lock is best. I've never had to use mine though, as my lid is nice and straight. Plus, they're easy to padlock shut so someone doesn't jump over your fence and swipe your meat. :thumb:

heh... I guess that 55-gallon salvage drum is for salvaging a 30-gallon drum. My bad!

I'd get the lighter one so it's easier to move around. :wink:

Do I have to go through all 449 pages of this thread, or can someone tell me where I can find the specs to build a UDS?

heh... I guess that 55-gallon salvage drum is for salvaging a 30-gallon drum. My bad!

I'd get the lighter one so it's easier to move around. :wink:

Hah. I was thinking get the heavier one so it holds temps better and put it on casters to move it around.

Either way works. :-D

QUESTION: Instead of welding the nipples (intakes), could a guy use JB weld on the outside of the drum to seal it up? Mine screw in nice and tight, but want to seal the threads up.

I've heard of folks using JB Weld. I just used conduit nuts on the inside of pipe nipples to lock them down. Never had any problems with that method myself.

Back