Taking a chance....

HuskerMan

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Local store had a brand called "bbq time" spareribs on sale. Never heard of this brand of ribs but at the price of $.99 per lb I had to take a chance so I bought a box. Opened it when I got home and it appears to be three slabs of spareribs. They are a little less meaty than other spareribs I buy. Test cook is Saturday. Hope they turn out decent.

I'd try 'em too, at that price. Good luck!

Any pics or other details?

The ribs just before prep. A couple things of note. These ribs are skinnier with less meat than the spares I usually see. Also I was planning of cutting them into St.Louis style. The two racks on the bottom had no rib tip section. They had solid rib bones from top to bottom with no noticeable break. The top rack there was a rib tip section so that one was trimmed. So between the thickness and large bones I'm guessing that these ribs probably came from an older/skinnier hog.

2951AEF9-0317-4677-8C32-3FA8FA518196-3490-0000078261861F00.jpg

hmm I dunno those don't look that appealing. How many pounds was that you bought, 11?

It was a 10# box at $.99 a pound. I agree because that is the first thing I thought when I opened the box. But for $.99 a pound it was worth the risk. That is also why I threw on two pork butt for the game tonight. Honestly I don't think I will even serve these at the party tonight, but they were thawed out so I cooked them anyways.

Gotta agree they do look pretty gnarly. But hey - at 99 cents a pound I would have taken a chance as well.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained is my motto.

Brian

I would guess that those are "Danish" Ribs.

Will be interesting to see how they cook up for you.

TIM

If push comes to shove bone them out and make sausage. Then dry the bones out grind them up and put the bone meal on your garden. 99 cents can go a long way. :blah:

Danish rib s for sure. Don't pay attention to any rib tutorials. They all count on actual meat on the bones. Plan on a shorter cook time.

Back