**Primal Grill with Steven Raichlen**

swamprb

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the new series from Steven Raichlen?
http://www.primalgrill.org/htdocs/primal_grill_episodes.html

I was at first bummed to learn it wasn't being shown on my local PBS stations, but came across it on the HD channels. I got turned onto BBQU kind of late and usually recorded the episodes. Primal Grill seems like BBQU but he's cooking on other brands of grills besides Webers which is a sponsor, I'm OK with that, but it is refreshing to see him use them rather than smoking in the background!
The three episodes I've seen so far, he has cooked on a Big Green Egg, a Traeger, a Lodge Cast Iron Hibachi and a wood fired Argentinian grill similar to a Santa Maria type cooker. If he cooks a Big Drum Smoker that would be over the top! I heard he was in town for a cooking demo at a winery and they cooked on a La Caja China, so I'm hoping to see more variety.

His BBQ Bible inspired me and I still refer to it regularly. He has helped our cause. I would watch what ever he has to offer.

He does use the BDS in some of his upcoming episodes.

yep, just started watching when i found him on pbs. they didn't have him listed but there he was.

Thanks for posting the info, I was wondering why my recorded hasn't picked up any bbqu episodes yet this year.

Yeah, I noticed the show on our PBS a few weeks ago too...set the DVR for the series.

Havent caught it yet/ I do enjoy his shows. He is why I am here today so blame him:tongue:

Havent caught it yet/ I do enjoy his shows. He is why I am here today so blame him:tongue:

Same with me. He used to always have a Bandera smoking in the background. I bought mine because of him.

He does use the BDS in some of his upcoming episodes.

There was a glimpse of a drum already in the "Shoulders and Butts" episode. It looked like he put the lump charcoal between the ring and the drum all the way around....:confused:

With that much charcoal in a drum I bet it would cook for a very, very long time and burn the heck out of the paint.

I found it on DirecTV on a PBS station. My wife laughed when she saw the DVR program search list...BBQ, barbecue, barbeque, pork, ribs, butt, shoulder, etc.

...and a wood fired Argentinian grill.

that grill caught my eye, especially the 'U' shape grates, slanted slightly towards the front allowing the meat juices to flow to a collecting pan for basting,

There was a glimpse of a drum already in the "Shoulders and Butts" episode. It looked like he put the lump charcoal between the ring and the drum all the way around....:confused:

Yes, I saw that too. I've never used a BDS, but I'm pretty sure the charcoal goes in the basket not around it. Either way I like the show.

Thanks Brian...I just set the HD DVR to record the series...cool!:p

Has anyone seen the new series from Steven Raichlen?
http://www.primalgrill.org/htdocs/primal_grill_episodes.html

I was at first bummed to learn it wasn't being shown on my local PBS stations, but came across it on the HD channels. I got turned onto BBQU kind of late and usually recorded the episodes. Primal Grill seems like BBQU but he's cooking on other brands of grills besides Webers which is a sponsor, I'm OK with that, but it is refreshing to see him use them rather than smoking in the background!
The three episodes I've seen so far, he has cooked on a Big Green Egg, a Traeger, a Lodge Cast Iron Hibachi and a wood fired Argentinian grill similar to a Santa Maria type cooker. If he cooks a Big Drum Smoker that would be over the top! I heard he was in town for a cooking demo at a winery and they cooked on a La Caja China, so I'm hoping to see more variety.

I got advance copies of Episode 8 and 11 which feature the BDS. They are very well done and his food looks fantastic. And yes, as the others mentioned, Raichlen does not use the charcoal basket for coals. He puts a drip pan in there and the coals are placed between the basked and the wall of the drum.

I got advance copies of Episode 8 and 11 which feature the BDS. They are very well done and his food looks fantastic. And yes, as the others mentioned, Raichlen does not use the charcoal basket for coals. He puts a drip pan in there and the coals are placed between the basked and the wall of the drum.

So is this a new cooking technique with the BDS? That I have to see!

According to Rocky it is an uninformed Steven Raichlen. Was a pretty big deal on the BDS forum for a couple of days.

THANKS for the info.

btw, it's probally not legit to do so, but there is alot people that stuck his shows (along with AB) on youtube

It's not a new cooking technique with the BDS dude. Steven just didn't read the instruction manual that came along with the BDS. Although nothing bad happened it was a real surprise to see him goof up like that. We all had a chuckle.

Back