Grilling Pizza

I have found that the secret to a great grilled pizza is the crust. What we have done is go to Costco or Sam's club and buy a case of there pre-made pizza dough for about $22. You can roll it out pretty thin and it works great. We even cook this stuff on our Treager pellet grill, so all you "have to cook it on charcoal" people are nutz :) And yes we do get the great grill marks on the pizza, great smoke flavor and NO burnt crust. We have used both the stone and no stone for making pizza's and we prefer no stone. You just need to remember to time the crust turning and have everything ready a head of time.

Bossman
chuckmarting@bossmanbbq.com

kcquer said:
Shohn, do pizza joints actually use different doughs for thick and thin crusts, or is it just a matter of how much dough is used for a given size pie?

IIRC, Little Caesar's didn't offer a traditional, crisp, thin crust pizza. There was a medium- thickness, sort of "homestyle," and deep pan. For both of these, the dough was the same concoction in different quantities. For the "homestyle," the pans were dusted with cornmeal before the dough was spread in it. For deep pan, the pan was oiled pretty heavily before dough application. The deep pans were square, but that probably doesn't make much of a difference. To the best of my knowledge, real thin-crust dough is baked some before the toppings are applied, then baked again as a pizza, sort of like a pie crust. I may be wrong about this as an industry-wide practice, but I've seen pizza recipes that call for this technique.

I worked at Spinners Pizza in Brownwood when i was a senior in highschool. Was a great job most of our pies were thin crust and then deep dish, no homestyle or hand tossed. I came in and prepped dough before school and returned to work buffet at lunch when i got out of school. we kept our dough in 55 gal trash cans lined with trashbag, and kept them in the cooler till we needed it. we had a docker roller machine that rolled our dough out for us. and docked it to prevent airbubbles in the crust. It was a damn good pizza joint. but the owner/boss man couldnt keep his nose out the powder and eventually ran out of town after the drug dealers started showin up at 730 in the morning while i was prepping dough lookin for em. pretty scary.. he came in one and we ran the lunch buffet then he took all the money from the register and shut her down. Allways enjoyed it, hell ive even thought about working part time at dominos just to make pies.

kcquer said:
I'm a little suprised that no one has spoken up and said, "I used to work in a pizza joint when I was younger".

I used to work in a pizza joint when I was younger.

I was one of the delivery boys. Does that count? :-D Delivering to the sororities at Northwestern University was always the hot run. Lousy tips, but you never knew what the girls would be wearing when they came to the door!

Ron_L said:
Delivering to the sororities at Northwestern University was always the hot run. Lousy tips, but you never knew what the girls would be wearing when they came to the door!

Sounds like a movie . . .

I delivered pie briefly when I was in college. I hated it, and never worked in the kitchen save for washing dishes.

This thread has really got me wanting to make some pizza- I think it just went on the menu for this weekend. I'm gonna try making some whole wheat crust.

Great idea. The power of suggestion has taken hold of me once again. Thin crust is my preference so I'll mix up the thin crust dough KC linked to today, and pie on the stone in the Chargriller it will be tomorrow. I can get the Chargriller up to 450* or so with direct heat. Can't wait.

One of my first jobs as a kid was at Shakey's Pizza Parlor. I was the skin man. We had only one type of crust though. My boss crushed his fingers in the dough press on my first day. I had to take him to the hospital and then go back and clean up the machine. I damn sure kept my farking fingers way clear of those rollers.

I think I smell roadmap in this thread.

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they have bags of premade dough for 99 cents... regular, whole wheat and garlic pesto. They make about 3 individual sized pizzas each.

I like to do my pizzas on the grill, no stone, to cook the crust, then move that and toppings onto the smoker to melt the cheese, heat up everything, and add some smoke. I've tried doing it all on the grill, but this is my favorite way.

www.pizzamaking.com is the best..
I tried making pizza in my barrel smoker and couldn't get it hot enuff even with mesquite..useing a pizza stone works best..
I'll be buying a propane grill as soon as my deck is finished..with those you can get the temps up to 700 degrees..if you want to make good pizza you need 600 to 800 degrees..
making pizza with a good BBQ sauce turns out nice and get fresh mozzeralla not the rubberball stuff..

thepit said:
www.pizzamaking.com is the best..
Iif you want to make good pizza you need 600 to 800 degrees..

I think it was in Cook's Illustrated where they discussed this... Different flours will yield different results at different temps. Meaning that the flours used for a real pizza oven don't work well at lower temps, and all purpose flours don't work well at the higher temps for pizza. Using the right flour will allow good crust at lower temps.

This whole thread has made me want to give this a spin. We actually have the PC round stone.....Sam's club even sells the dough....if the rain stops here maybe i'll give it a try!
Thanks so much for sharing!

GIRLYQUE said:
This whole thread has made me want to give this a spin. We actually have the PC round stone.....Sam's club even sells the dough....if the rain stops here maybe i'll give it a try!
Thanks so much for sharing!

Where are you at that you are getting rain?
I could cook a pizza on top of my smoker here.
It's so dry and hot.

FatDad said:
Where are you at that you are getting rain?
I could cook a pizza on top of my smoker here.
It's so dry and hot.

Goshen in NY State....thundershowers...again. We've had really crap weather most of the summer.Hot and Humid..... But it helps the tomatoes in the garden grow!

Bigdog said:
One of my first jobs as a kid was at Shakey's Pizza Parlor. I was the skin man. We had only one type of crust though. My boss crushed his fingers in the dough press on my first day. I had to take him to the hospital and then go back and clean up the machine. I damn sure kept my farking fingers way clear of those rollers.
Way back when I worked at a pizza parlor I too had to take someone to the Hospital after he got his fingers in the dough roller. What made it worse was he pulled them out and pulled the meat back on his fingers.

Never made Pizza on the grill before.

I have a stone so I'm going to have to give it a try soon.

Back