Help dark ribs

T&S BBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I need advice on ribs getting to dark. Last weekend I tried using only wood in my cos, and tried unwraped the whole cook. Normally I tend to use 3-2-1, but Im going to order a new peoria cooker this winter and wood like to go all stick. The month before I did use only wood for the first time and they came out great, but it was 3-2-1. Should I not try to go go the whole cook unwraped or is it because my rub is sugar based. Try to keep temp at 225 - 250. Or maybe Im not keeping a clean enough fire. We drug off some of the rub on the other rack of baby backs and it was just the rub that was dark.

Pics? There are different kinds of dark. Probably your fire, and foiling was able to mask the dirty fire.

Lots of variables there. Assuming you have been burning a small, hot fire, and in a COS, that is not an easy given, the issue that first comes to mind is sugars. Now, I use a sugar heavy rub from time to time and get this result.
doneribs_zpsbc0ccd20.jpg

I consider those to be fairly dark. If you are not darker than that and the ribs do not taste burnt, it is likely not sugar. If you are getting a charred flavor, bitterness or ashy crunch, then the sugars are burning. Of note, those ribs were cooked at 300°F and there is no burning.

In a COS, the use of all wood, means a very small, hot, fire to burn clean. Certainly doeable, but, fussy. Of course, if it really bothers you, cut back on the sugars, or apply them later in the cook so they have less exposure to the heat. Make sure you are burning the smallest fire you can to get the heat you want.

Clean fire and low sugar are your friends if you want your ribs to stay light in color. If you want to add sweetness try a glaze or sauce at the end of the cook.

One of two things either your fire was dirty( to much fuel not enough air) or your sugars burnt in your rub.....or both.

My ribs were no darker than the picture u posted, no burnt tast. I did have more trouble this last time mainting a good fire, but it was windy. The first time every thing went great, small hot fire, little clean smoke. Seemed to keep really steady temp,also no wind. Last time temp varried and sometimes not as clean as before, but not bad? So if sugar based wrap or keep cleaner fire? Also will it be easier on my new smoker to maintain a better fire? Thanks for all the coments, really!

Almost anything is easier to maintain a clean fire than in a COS. Wind is a problem with most cookers, except for the insulated ones. I would imagine that your new cooker will be much easier to use and maintain a good fire.

As for the sugars, as you might be able to tell, I am not a believer that the dark color is because sugars burn at smoking temperatures. Some of the rubs I use have a lot of sugar, up to 30% by volume, and I do not get burning.

My ribs were no darker than the picture u posted, no burnt tast. I did have more trouble this last time mainting a good fire, but it was windy. The first time every thing went great, small hot fire, little clean smoke. Seemed to keep really steady temp,also no wind. Last time temp varried and sometimes not as clean as before, but not bad? So if sugar based wrap or keep cleaner fire? Also will it be easier on my new smoker to maintain a better fire? Thanks for all the coments, really!
If the wind is out of the North point the firebox West. I have never wrapped a rib. I could care less how they look so long as they taste good but generally mine come out a nice mahogany color. I use very little rub and it don't have much sugar in it.

Going to try some of the good advice I got today. Thanks again, I'll try next time to post some pics, if I can figure it out!

I agree with what others have already said, just work on getting a clean, small, hot burning fire next cook

Back