• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Wings and popping the New Pit's Cherry

GMDGeek

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
OK so I am breaking my new pit tomorrow with 2 pork shoulders and 6 racks of ribs and a mess of wings. I cook my Shoulders and Ribs around 250.

Having never cooked wings before - at 250 how long does one typically cook their wings? Or to what temp?

Thank,
G

I cook all my chicken 300+ degrees so the skin gets nice and crispy. I have found that anything lower than 300 degrees your skin will start getting more rubbery than crispy.

Chicken is done at 165 degrees IT. Some don't like the texture of wings at 165IT, I am one of them. I actually prefer my wings at 170-175IT. It is a little bit drier than at 165IT and has a nice crispiness to it, and the meat is closer to fried wings consistency.

You got to go higher on wings or else finish over direct ehat IMHO. The skin simply stays too rubbery at low n slow temps.

Also, brushing or spraying with a little cooking oil or butter will help crisp the skin up.

I usually cook 300+ as well and still finish on a little direct heat to try and get the crispy skin texture.

Back