Prepping New Grill

N

nrdk

I've been lurking here about a month or more and finally decided to join to see all the deliciousness that's been shown here and was hoping I could ask for some help. I've grilled on and off growing up, can't say I've been too involved, and now that I've bought my first house one of the first things on the agenda is a new grill and start learning the trade. With Memorial Day sales I plan on picking up a propane grill to start and eventually working towards getting a smoker after a bit more time in the house to settle.

So my question comes to this, is there anything special I should do to prep the grill before it's first use and summer? I've seen suggestions of Rustoleum, which I may or may not use as this first grill I'll be happy to get 3 years out of to give me time to find a good deal on a Weber or something to step up to.

Thanks ahead of time and keep on cookin

Heat resistant paint is available at Lowes and Home Depot. Paint only the outside...

If the inside is rusty, wire brush yo clean bare metal.

Coat the interior surfaces with cooking oil or spray shortening. Bring grill to 400°, turn off and let cool to season the inside.

I do not know why you would need Rustoleum for a brand new grill. I think you just want to “season” the grill before you start grilling.
I would suggest burning out the grill (running it at high temperature) to get out the oils from the manufacturing process. I would then wipe it down with a wet cloth (water only). After it has cooled down and dried you would want to spray down the insides with a cooking oil spray (lightly) and then run the grill at roughly 300 degrees for about 30 minutes and let cool down.

They should explain that process to you in the instruction booklet.

Thanks for the answers. I've read through and they suggest something roughly along that process, but I can't say I ever trust a manual compared to experience so thought I would query the knowledgable ones.

I would suggest looking on craigslist and buying a used weber. You can get replacement parts as they wear out. There are some good deals out there.

My area is relatively dry on Webers, been looking for a month or 2 now. However I did come across a Char-broil smoker, same one asthis at Lowe's that I could probably talk the guy down to $50 for, looks in decent shape.

Lowes also sells the AKorn by Char-Grill. I have it and just love it! Cant go wrong with it and could do more with it than a gasser! Item #: 131712

Lowes also sells the AKorn by Char-Grill. I have it and just love it! Cant go wrong with it and could do more with it than a gasser! Item #: 131712

Looks pretty awesome and I would love to step up to that. Right now with moving costs, landscaping, and all the rest that goes into moving from an apartment to a house that'll have to be added to my wish list for the time being.

Would love to get started smoking with that some day soon, looks like a bit of a learning curve getting in the game though. Out of curiosity, how long do you smoke for and how long do you leave it alone for? I'd be worried about fire or temp being off if I'm gone too long.

Looks pretty awesome and I would love to step up to that. Right now with moving costs, landscaping, and all the rest that goes into moving from an apartment to a house that'll have to be added to my wish list for the time being.

Would love to get started smoking with that some day soon, looks like a bit of a learning curve getting in the game though. Out of curiosity, how long do you smoke for and how long do you leave it alone for? I'd be worried about fire or temp being off if I'm gone too long.

Well, I do understand that moving cost! Just some of these gassers cost just as much if more than the AKorn.

I will just suggest for you to search on this wonderful forum for smoking tips and ideas. There is a search bar at the very bottom of the page! Enjoy!

honestly, if you're looking for a good cheap grill just get a weber kettle. they usually are FLOODED with them on Ebay and even the $100 for a 22.5 OTS is dirt cheap compared to any gasser you'll get, and you can smoke as well as grill with it too.

Back